Arguably the biggest update to date for PUBG console is coming soon, bringing the much anticipated Erangel visual update, dynamic weather and much more to the Xbox and PS4.
Xbox and PS4 players were envious when the Erangel remaster was confirmed for PC. It left console players wondering whether they would ever get the update at all, amid concerns the consoles wouldn't be to handle the updated visuals.
Fortunately, these fears have been dispelled and the new Erangel will indeed be on both Xbox and PS4 from August 27. Players have been able to try it on the PUBG PTS but have noted buildings can take a while to load - an issue with has plague other maps on console too.
On top of new visuals, the new map will being changed and added areas which provide details about the history on the Russian island. This isn't all though, as the very popular dynamic weather will make a return.
In matches that begin with overcast weather, the weather will vary between windy, hail, rains as well as thunder and lightning. In short, Erangel may look unrecognizable from before.
Elsewhere, to the delight of the fragmented console player base, the eventual addition of crossplay between Xbox and PS4 was confirmed. It won't be part of the 4.2 update however, and will instead be coming in October.
The developers behind PUBG have been busy in recent months and are clearly trying to bring the console port closer to the standard of PC. Whether this is possible remains to be seen but console players can certainly look forward to August 27.
The full patch notes for PUBG update 4.2 can be found below:
Erangel Visual Update
“Everyone is searching for themselves. That search ends here. Welcome to the Battlegrounds.”
Since launch, millions of players have dropped into Erangel to take part in PUBG’s heart-pounding take on Battle Royale. It’s with that same passion that we dove into this visual update with the goal of bringing our most classic map in line with our more recent offerings, all without losing the magic that made it a fan favorite in the first place. From standard complexes to major landmarks like Mylta Power, we’ve improved the graphical quality of Erangel’s various areas and terrains across the board.
There are plenty of secrets to find and updated areas to explore once you drop in.
Various terrain changes
- We’ve updated existing terrain, signage, and buildings and have added a small number of buildings to some areas as well.
- To better illustrate Erangel’s history, terrain elements have been added or revised.
- Trenches, blast marks, camo nets, and abandoned tanks have been added across different areas of the map.
- Added barriers along the shore in some locations.
Overcast Weather added to Erangel
“There’s a side to you that I never knew… and the games you’d play, you would always win. But I set fire, to the rain.”
‘Overcast’ weather has been added to Erangel.
- When a match starts with overcast weather on Erangel, the weather will change dynamically over the course of the match between overcast, windy, hail, light rain, heavy rain (rain with lightning and thunder), and fog.
- Destructible pylons and barricades have been added to the map. They can be destroyed by vehicles, weapons and explosions, but do provide a limited amount of cover until they are destroyed.
“Equal opportunity looting.”
For PUBG SEASON 4, we rebalanced many of the game’s weapons and vehicles. The patch includes balance adjustments to not only existing weapons and items, but also our first rebalance on vehicles. As always, we will be listening to feedback on the balancing, so please let us know how the all the changes feel together.
There are a whole lot of changes in this patch, so be sure to check out everything below! Because knowing is about fifty percent of the battle.
Weapon & Item Balance Update
- Increased base damage of Kar98k from 75 to 79.
- Increased per pellet base damage of S12K from 22 to 24.
- Increased per pellet base damage of Sawed-off from 20 to 22.
- Increased per pellet base damage of S686, S1897 from 24 to 26.
- Increased effective damage over distance for all SMGs.
- Slightly increased damage multipliers for SMGs:
- Torso 1.05 (previously 1.0), Limb 1.3 (previously 1.25).
- Increased damage multipliers for Crossbow:
- Torso 1.4 (previously 1.0), Limb 1.2 (previously 0.9).
- ADS zoom for default crossbow sight increased by 3%.
- Laser sight attachment dispersion multiplier for pistols was decreased from 0.5 to 0.3 (non-ads shooting with pistols will now be 70% more accurate when laser is attached).
- Reduced base damage of M24 from 79 to 75.
- Reduced base damage of Beryl M762 from 47 to 46.
- Reduced base damage of AKM and Groza from 49 to 47.
- Reduced base damage of M416, G36, QBZ, SCAR-L and AUG from 43 to 41.
- Reduced maximum bullet travel distance of all shotguns from 1000 m to 150 m.
- Duckbill attachment now distributes bullets vertically instead of horizontally.
- Crossbow will now have a visible tracer following the trajectory of the bolt for easier aiming.
- Added top rail to Uzi to allow Red Dot and Holographic Sights attachments.
Vehicle Balance Update
- Improved handling of RWD vehicles (Buggy, Mirado, Rony, Motorbike, Snowbike, Snowmobile, Scooter, Tukshai).
- Regular and three-seater motorbikes stabilization improved.
- Increased maximum speed of Scooter from 90 to 105 kph.
- Greatly improved handling of Buggy and Increased Buggy’s wheels durability by 50%.
- Increased max speed of Buggy from 92/115 to 100/125 kph (no boost/boost).
- Increased HP of UAZ from 900 to 1200.
- Increased HP of Tukshai from 500 to 1000 as well as increased max speed of Tukshai from 70 to 85 kph.
- Decreased HP of Mirado from 1000 to 900.
- All motorbikes will now consume roughly 50% more fuel than before.
- Decreased acceleration and boost multiplier rate for Dacia. Maximum speed will stay the same.
- Dacia and Mirado vehicles speed will now be reduced by around 15% when driving on surfaces like sand, mud, grass, dirt.
- When driving on rocky surface with any vehicle, friction will be decreased by 10% making them more difficult to control.
- Implemented new Buggy and Mirado sounds.
- Visual effect while using boost has been removed and replaced with high RPM engine sounds.
- Improved aiming while inside vehicles to be more steady.
- Improved the FPP camera view inside most vehicles.
- Added auto-acceleration to vehicles (identical to auto-run feature)
- Auto-Acceleration can be activated by double tapping ‘RT(Xbox)/R2(PS4)’ keyjust like auto-run.
- Added “locking” mechanism to BRDM-2.
- Only teammates will be able to enter BRDM-2.
- When all teammates exit the BRDM-2, it will unlock, allowing any player to enter.
- Added Car Audio feature to play preset music while inside a car.
- Only the driver can control this feature.
- Car audio will stay turned on even after players exit the vehicle.
- Turning the audio On/Off while inside a vehicle will play random music every time.
- Use Right key (D-Pad) to play or stop the music,
- Volume of the music is determined by the volume set in Settings – Audio – Gameplay – Gameplay Volume
- Music will stop playing automatically after a full song.
- Music can be stopped by destroying or flooding the vehicle.
Healing and Boost Item Improvements
- Healing and boost items can now be used while moving.
- You’ll be limited to walking speed only.
- Press the use X(Xbox)/Square(PS4) or run/jump keys to cancel healing/boosting.
- Bandages will now be used continuously until the player fully heals to the maximum of 75% health, or runs out of bandages, without the need to manually use bandages multiple times.
- Press the use X(Xbox)/Square(PS4) or run/jump keys to cancel healing.
- First Aid Kits can no longer heal additional damage you receive after the healing starts.
- Previously, if damage was taken after the 2-second healing period had started, any additional damage received would be healed if the total healing amount was still 75% or less.
- Med Kits and Adrenaline Syringes now stack in the inventory, rather than occupying one inventory space per item held.
Visual Effects Improvements
- Optimized and reworked the visuals of the Molotov Cocktail.
- Optimized and improved weapon and vehicle shaders.
- Optimized and improved Frag Grenade explosion effects.
- Different effects will be used depending on the surface the Frag Grenade explodes upon.
- Optimized and differentiated muzzle flash effects for each weapon.
Vehicle Engine Toggle
- Vehicle engines can now be turned off/on by pressing Left key (D-Pad).
- The engine can be turned off while driving, after gaining momentum and can be used for quiet, tactical maneuvers.
- Once the engine is off, pressing RT(Xbox)/R2(PS4) to accelerate or pressing Left key (D-Pad) will start the engine again.
- Vehicle engines will automatically be turned off if the vehicle stays at a standstill for 8 seconds, or 2 seconds after the driver disembarks.
Throwables Friction Adjustment
- Adjusted the friction force of throwables to make rolling movement more consistent and predictable.
- Smoke Grenades
- Friction force has been increased to slow rolling speed and cause them to roll a shorter distance after impacting surfaces.
- Stun Grenades & Frag Grenades
- Friction force has been decreased to speed up the rolling speed and increase distance they can travel after impacting surfaces.
- Smoke Grenades
Improved Visibility of Reticles Against Bright Backgrounds
- Visibility of all sight and scope reticles against bright backgrounds (such as Vikendi snowfields) has been slightly improved.
Erangel Blue Zone Balance Changes
We’re making changes to the Blue Zone on Erangel thanks to player feedback and changes in gameplay since the most recent Erangel rebalance.
- The size of the safe zone in early phases has been reduced.
- Blue Zone waiting time in early and mid-game phases has been reduced.
- Movement speed of the Blue Zone during some mid and late phases has been decreased.
- Blue Zone waiting time for the final phase has been reduced.
Turntable Added to Erangel
- Added a new playable Turntable which can be found across Erangel.
- Turntables are spawned randomly on Erangel. Press the use key X(Xbox)/Square(PS4) to turn the music on/off.
- Turntables can be destroyed, and will not be causing any damage when destroyed.
- Music played on the Turntable can be heard by all nearby players.
- Music will stop playing automatically after one song.
Featured Map (No Change)
- The Featured Map will remain as “Erangel” so that players can experience the Erangel Visual Update.
Radio Message Option
After receiving feedback from the community regarding the Radio Message system, we understand that usability is low and the system is inconvenient to use on console. While we are working to make improvements upon the system, we wanted to give you the option to turn the Radio Message on and off in the meantime. A console-friendly Radio Message system is being worked on which we hope to implement in the near future. Thanks for your feedback!
- Settings – Gameplay – Radio Message option is added.
- You can select between Radio Message and Quick Marker by tuning this option On/Off.
Rate of Fire Improvement based on FPS
- Rate of fire has been improved to be less affected by FPS.
- The amount of bullets fired will remain the same even during instances of frame drops.
“Eye of the hurricane”
Vikendi Ambient Noise Adjustment
- Volume of Vikendi’s ambient wind noise has been reduced.
“A vision of perfect health.”
Adjusted Plane UI
- Plane map UI now resizes dynamically when zooming in the map.
Weapon Mastery UI Improvements
- Improved UI elements such as icons and other aspects of the layout in the Mastery tab.
- The Last Match Report notification at the upper right side of the lobby will no longer show if no Weapon Mastery XP is earned in the last match.
- Time bonus values, which were incorrectly displayed in the match result screen, have been fixed.
Menu background and character rendering
- Effects have been improved to better fit the lobby background.
In-game HUD Improvement
- Helmet and vest health is now better visualized on the UI, along with Backpack capacity.
- Weapon firing mode is now represented visually by icons, instead of text.
- To reduce unnecessary clutter, certain HUD and UI elements are no-longer displayed when waiting to start a match.
- Game version number, server identifier and other information is now located beneath the minimap, instead of the HP bar.
Emote UI Improved
- Wheel size has been reduced, and its location has been moved from the center to the right side of the screen.
- Wheel responsiveness has been improved.
- Removed screen blurring effect around the wheel UI.
- Total emote wheel slots reduced from 12 to 8.
- Map loading speed has been improved.
- Improvements have been made to reduce instances of hitching/stuttering.
- Optimized calculation of character movement outside the player field of view to improve performance.
Custom Match (Xbox, Live Server Only)
- The spectate feature has been re-enabled and hosts will now be able to spectate custom matches again.
- Please note that this is an interim feature and we are working to add a more stable and robust spectate feature within a few upcoming updates.
- With controller preset A and B, radio messages are only activated by double pressing R-Stick(XBOX)/R3(PS4) (PTS ONLY)
- This issue will be resolved after live maintenance on August 27th
- Fixed an issue where charms would sometimes cause the game to crash (LIVE SERVER ONLY)
- Fixed an issue where map boundary collision could prevent the parachute from deploying.
- Fixed an issue where smoke grenades could float above the ground in specific situations.
- Fixed an issue where teammate UI wasn’t displayed correctly in Platoon Mode custom matches. (XBOX ONLY)
- Fixed an issue where Care Packages could fall outside the playable area.
- Fixed an issue which could cause players to receive damage unintentionally when exiting a vehicle in water.
- Fixed an issue which could cause the R1895 animation to be played on another weapon in specific situations in FPP.
- Fixed issue where the Extended Quickdraw mag did not properly improve the reload time for the Tommy Gun and Vector.
- Fixed an issue where players behind walls could be damaged by vehicles in specific situations.
- Fixed an issue where the reload animation could be cancelled, yet still allow a full reload, when dropping other equipped weapons.
- Fixed an issue where certain sounds from other players could be heard when observing and switching between teammates.
- Fixed an issue where players could enter the BRDM-2 at speeds higher than intended, without receiving damage.
- Fixed an issue of missing empty shells when reloading the AWM and M24.
- Fixed an issue where the reloading sound from Scorpion and Deagle sounds louder than other handguns.
- Fixed a graphical issue within certain buildings of Vikendi
- Fixed an issue where wall collision was missing in certain locations in Hacienda del Patron on Miramar
- Fixed an issue where collision was missing in certain building walls of Paradise Resort on Sanhok
- Fixed an issue where other characters land in parachutes temporarily enter the ground when the network environment is poor.
- Fixed an issue where character footsteps cannot be heard (still audible for enemies) when walking backwards against corners of objects.
- Fixed an issue in which throwables appear to be cut off/shaking when the network environment is poor.
- Fixed an issue where throwables would roll for a longer time when rolling on the slope.
- Fixed an issue where Aqua rail’s speed in reverse is almost same as going forward.
- Fixed an issue where a constant audible collision can be heard when a vehicle is stationary against terrain.
- Fixed an issue where First aid kit, Adrenaline syringe, Energy drink can sometimes not be heard from the spectator point of view.
- Fixed an issue where vehicles can jitter and slowly descend the slope when parked on an angled slope.
- Fixed an issue where weapon scope zoom is reset after performing specific actions.
- Fixed an issue where character animations are skewed when using an emote while affected by a Molotov.
- Fixed an issue where weapon dropping sound can only be heard by the player dropping the weapon.
- Fixed an issue where a faintly cross-shaped line is visible when the holographic reticle brightness is maximized.
- Fixed an issue where the BRDM-2 can sometimes sink when called in using a flare gun above water.
- Fixed an issue where the boost gauge will continue to display even after the UI has been disabled if under the effect of a boost.
- Fixed an issue where a placed marker location is changed on compass when you open the map or inventory several times.
- Fixed an issue where players’ names display incorrectly when watching a player in a disconnected state.
- Fixed an issue where raindrops pass through certain vehicle roofs.
- Fixed an issue where footsteps can be heard from dead players intermittently.
- Fixed an issue where controller guide text appears when spectating after dying in a squad match