Where to find Munchlax in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
The incredibly rare ‘mon is now easier to catch with a new method added in the BDSP remakes. Here is how to find Munchlax in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl in no time at all.
Pokemon fans can breathe a sigh of relief as the Sinnoh remakes are largely faithful adaptations of the beloved 2006 titles. Studio ILCA has also added some additional features to help modernize the Gen IV RPGs.
One of the biggest changes is a new method for catching Munchlax. Now instead of having to wait days (sometimes weeks) to get the Snorlax pre-evolution in a Honey Tree, Trainers can now find the rare creature with ease in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl.
Where to find Munchlax in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl.
Players will first be able to catch Munchlax in the overworld starting after beating Gym #4 in Pastoria City. After acquiring the Defog HM, the sleepy Normal-type will start spawning.
The Snorlax pre-evolution can be found much easier in the Gen IV remakes as it shows up in several specific locations. Here are the steps to finding Munchlax in BDSP:
- Players must first get the Defog HM from the green-haired NPC in the Great Marsh Safari Zone. After acquiring the Hidden Move, defeat the Pastoria City Gym.
- Now travel back to Sandgem Town and use the Explorer Kit item to enter the Grand Underground.
- You need to find the Grassland Cave Hideaway, which looks like a green square on the map and is located at the very south of the caverns.
- Enter the Hideaway and look for Munchlax. If the ‘mon isn’t there, simply leave the room and re-enter it in order to change the Pokemon spawns in the area.
- Repeat the same method by going in and out of the hideaway until Munchlax eventually spawns. Once you see it, run into it and a battle with it will trigger where you can now catch it.
How to evolve Snorlax
As if finding Munchlax wasn’t already a bit tricky, evolving it into Snorlax requires even more legwork. Players will need to get their ‘mon to meet the right conditions before evolving it.
Trainers have to make sure that the character in their party is happy. Here are the steps to evolving Munchlax into Snorlax.
- Fans need to raise their Friendship level with Munchlax if they want to trigger the Snorlax evolution.
- Have it walk outside of its Poke Ball while you walk around the map and battle against other Trainers or Pokemon.
- Give the ‘mon Berries to raise its happiness. The following food items specifically raise friendship quickly: Hondew, Kelps, Qualot, Tamato.
- Once it has enough hearts, level it up by one time and the Snorlax evolution sequence will trigger automatically.
How to get Munchlax egg by breeding Snorlax
Another method to getting Munchlax is through the game’s breeding feature. This can be helpful for those who caught Snorlax before its pre-evolution.
Trainers looking to Shiny hunt will also want to make duplicate Munchlax eggs through their Snorlax evolution.
- In order to do this method, players will need to have gotten the Rock Climb HM from the hiker in the fields next to Snowpoint City. You then need to defeat Gym #5 to use the Hidden Move.
- After getting the HM head back to Veilstone City and use Rock Climb to scale a wall in the south of town. At the top of the structure is a Poke Ball item, pick it up to get a jar of Full Incense.
- Give the Full Incense to your Snorlax as a Held Item.
- Next travel to Solaceon Town and enter the Nursery. Drop off your Snorlax holding the Incense with a second Snorlax that is the opposite gender. You can also use a Ditto which can be found on Route 218 with the PokeRadar app.
- After leaving it at the Nursey for a few minutes, return to pick up an Egg.
- Equip it to a Party slot, and ride back and forth across the map using your Bicycle. The item will eventually hatch into a Munchlax.
Pokemon Honey Tree locations
Finally, Munchlax can also be found in Honey Trees. Slathering Honey on special tree trunks will give you a random chance. The method is really tedious and the ‘mon has a 1% spawn rate.
- Read More: How to unlock Ramanas Park in BDSP
Those willing to take their chances should check our full Honey guide here. Below are the possible locations where the Snorlax pre-evolution has a random chance to show up:
- Route 205 North
- Route 205 South
- Route 206
- Route 207
- Route 208
- Route 209
- Route 210 North
- Route 210 South
- Route 211 East
- Route 212 North
- Route 212 South
- Route 213
- Route 214
- Route 215
- Route 218
- Route 221
- Route 222
- Valley Windworks
- Fuego Ironworks
- Eterna Forest
- Floarama Meadow
And that’s how you get Munchlax! In the original 2006 DS titles, the Snorlax pre-evolution was one of the rarest characters in the game (if not the hardest to find).
Thankfully, Studio ILCA has given us more options and has made getting the sleepy ‘mon much easier in BDSP.
And that’s it! Now that you have Munchlax and Snorlax on your team, check out some of our other Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl walkthroughs and guides:
How to get Jirachi | How to get Mew | Version exclusives | All Legendary Pokemon | How to get the Poketch | Best starter to pick | All Styles | How to beat all Gym Leaders | How to walk with your Pokemon