Evolving Pokemon in Sword and Shield is just like many others in the series, with different species requiring particular methods to start the process. If you're wondering what stones work for which Pokemon, this guide should help you out.
The Galar Region has introduced a number of new Pokemon that we've never seen before, let alone got them to evolve!
Many species found inside the area, such as Galarian Farfetch'd, Galarian Yamask and others evolve in strange ways and we have guides for those, but a more traditional way of applying a stone is just as prevalent as ever. First of all, let's take a look at where you can find the stones easily.
Best place to find stones in Pokemon Sword and Shield
There's a really good spot that players have identified as a stone haven in Pokemon Sword and Shield, featuring all different types as well. To find it, you're going to need to head over to a huge rock formation in the Wild Area.
It can be seen from a fair distance away, but if you start at Hammerlocke Hills and bike over towards the right side, you will eventually see the Lake of Outrage. Cross that, approach the rocks and behind every huge stone will be an evolution stone.
These can be quick tricky to collect as they're hidden on the floor, but there will be a noticeable shining animation near the back of each of them. Simply click around each spot to grab yourself a handful of stones.
Here, you can come across anything from a Leaf Stone to Shiny Stone, as they randomly spawn.
What stone does your Pokemon need to evolve?
Now that you're armed with your evolution stones, you're probably going to need some guidance on which stone each Pokemon needs to evolve. So, we've put together a list for you to make things a little easier.
As you will be able to tell pretty early on in the list, there are a lot of Eeveelutions included, but if you didn't know that already then are you really a Pokemon fan?
Just kidding, here's all possible stone evolutions in Sword and Shield:
- Dawn Stone evolves Kirlia into Gallade and Snorunt into Froslass
- Dusk Stone evolves Lampent into Chandelure
- Fire Stone evolves Eevee into Flareon, Vuplix into Ninetales and Growlithe into Arcanine
- Ice Stone evolves Eevee into Glaceon and Galarian Darumaka into Galarian Darmanitan
- Leaf Stone evolves Eevee into Leafeon, Nuzleaf into Shiftry and Gloom into Vileplume
- Moon Stone evolves Clefairy into Clefable and Munna into Musharna
- Shiny Stone evolves Minccino into Cinccino, Roselia into Roserade and Togetic into Togekiss
- Sun Stone evolves Cottonee into Whimsicott, Helioptile into Heliolisk and Gloom into Bellossom
- Thunder Stone evolves Charjabug into Vikavolt, Pikachu into Raichu and Eevee into Jolteon
- Water Stone evolves Eevee into Vaporeon, Lombre into Ludicolo and Shellder into Cloyster
These combinations will be useful for all different types of players, whether you're looking to check off all of the Pokemon in the Galar Region Pokedex, or perhaps even looking to get ahold of one of the new evolutions for the very first time.
We also have a complete fossil guide for Pokemon Sword and Shield which is really useful for learning the combinations, fossil locations and more useful tips.
Either way, we wish you luck on your travels throughout the new region and hopefully, with some of these Pokemon included in your team, you will make easy work of each gym leader you face!