Niantic has confirmed a major change ahead of December’s Community Day event in Pokemon Go that will allow trainers to catch and keep more Pokemon.
There are a number of different events in-game that can increase your chances of finding specific Pokemon.
Spotlight Hours feature a different species each week, ramping up their spawn rate for 60 minutes, while Community Days also allow players to get ahold of specific Pokemon for a limited time, with a headliner.
One issue that this presents for Shiny hunters, in particular – who often catch chains of the same Pokemon to increase their chances of catching a rare variant – is the lack of space in their inventory. If you have been playing the game since launch, there’s a chance that the limit of how many catches you can keep has been maxed out.
However, a change from the game’s developers aims to solve that problem.
Storage cap to be increased before Community Days
For both November and December, Niantic is increasing the limit of Pokemon you can keep.
The change will come into effect before the Shinx November Community Day, allowing players to store up to 5,000 Pokemon at one time. The number of items a trainer can carry will also be bumped up to 4,000 per person – which will obviously bolster your ability to catch more by having more items.
- Read More: Every Costume Pokemon
This will be increased to a max of 5,500 Pokemon by December.
How to increase storage in Pokemon Go
To increase your storage to the maximum of 5,500 by December’s Community Day, you will have to purchase more storage at a rate of +50 per time.
- Read More: Spotlight Hour schedule for November 2021
Each extra 50 storage in the Pokemon Box will cost you 200 PokeCoins to purchase, which are $0.99 per 100 in the store.
While it’s not a free upgrade for players, those who have racked up PokeCoins over the years will be delighted to know that they have something handy to splash out on.
If you’re a Shiny Pokemon hunter, there’s never been a better time to modify your inventory.
How much are PokeCoins?
- 100 PokeCoins: $0.99
- 550 PokeCoins: $4.99
- 1,200 PokeCoins: $9.99
Pokemon Go December Community Day: What to expect
The following are official patch notes from Niantic.
- Incense activated during the event will last for three hours
- Lure Modules activated during the event will last for three hours
- 1/2 Hatch Distance when Eggs are placed in an Incubator during the event
- 2× Catch XP
- 2× Catch Stardust
To celebrate the last Community Day event of the year, two additional bonuses will be available all weekend.
- 25% reduced stardust cost for trades
- 1 extra special trade per day
Friday, December 17, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Monday, December 20, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. PST (GMT −8)
Complete certain Field Research tasks to earn Mega Energy for the following Pokémon:
Available from Friday, December 17, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Monday, December 20, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. PST (GMT −8)
- There’ll be a special one-time-purchase Community Day Box available for 1,280 PokéCoins, featuring 50 Ultra Balls, six Star Pieces, an Elite Fast TM, and an Elite Charged TM.
- 30 Ultra Balls will be available in the shop at no cost. Be sure to pick them up during this time!
From Saturday, December 18, 2021, at 11:00 a.m. local time to Monday, December 20, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. local time
Timed Research will be available with tasks focused on all of the Pokémon that have been featured in Community Day events over the past two years!
Special Research Story: December Community Day 2021
- For US$1.00 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency), you’ll be able to access the December Community Day–exclusive Special Research story, December Community Day 2021.
- Stay tuned for when tickets for the December Community Day 2021 Special Research story go live!