The Luminous Legends Y event has arrived in Pokemon Go, putting the focus on Dark-type Pokemon like the Legendary Yveltal and introducing new timed research quest and field research tasks to complete.
Following on from the Luminous Legends X event, Niantic are continuing their Season of Legends with the Luminous Legends Y event, which sees Sylveon and the Legendary Yveltal make their Pokemon Go debuts.
There’s also a new timed research quest that will reward trainers with plenty of Dark-type encounters including Galarian Zigzagoon and Deino, as well as several event-exclusive field research tasks to complete.
Below, you’ll find all the information you need on the Luminous Legends Y event as well as steps to complete the Timed Research quest and Field Research tasks.
Luminous Legends Y Timed Research Quest Steps & Rewards
There are seven steps in the Luminous Legends Y timed research, with three quests to complete in each. Below, you’ll find all of the timed research tasks and rewards on offer:
Luminous Legends Y Step 1
- Defeat 5 Team Go Rocker Grunts – 15 Poke Balls
- Catch 5 Shadow Pokemon – Meowth encounter
- Catch 5 Dark-type Pokemon – Rattata encounter
Rewards: 1000 XP and Stunky encounter
Luminous Legends Y Step 2
- Purify 3 Shadow Pokemon – 5 Hyper Potion
- Purify 5 Shadow Pokemon – 3 Revives
- Purify 7 Shadow Pokemon – 1 Mysterious Component
Rewards: 2000 XP and Alolan Rattata encounter
Luminous Legends Y Step 3
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Arlo – 2000 XP
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Cliff – 2000 XP
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Sierra – 2000 XP
Rewards: 2000 XP and Murkrow encounter
Luminous Legends Y Step 4
- Purify 8 Shadow Pokemon – 1 Mossy Lure Module
- Evolve 8 Pokemon – Eevee encounter
- Earn 8 hearts with your Buddy – 1 Glacial Lure Module
Rewards: 3000 XP, Mightyena encounter
Luminous Legends Y Step 5
- Defeat 8 Team Go Rocket Grunts – 7 Pinap Berries
- Use an Incense – Zigzagoon encounter
- Catch 20 Dark-type Pokemon – 1 Glacial Lure Module
Rewards: 3000 XP and Meowth encounter
Luminous Legends Y Step 6
- Complete 7 Field Research Tasks – 10 Great Balls
- Win 1 Raid – Houndoom encounter
- Catch 5 different species of Dark-type Pokemon – Grimer encounter
Rewards: 4000 XP and Absol encounter
Luminous Legends Y Step 7
- Purify 10 Shadow Pokemon – 1 Poffin
- Defeat a Team Go Rocket Leader 3 times – Zigzagoon encounter
- Catch 12 Shadow Pokemon – Larvitar encounter
Rewards: 5000 Stardust and Deino encounter
Luminous Legends Y Field Research Tasks & Rewards
There are also event-exclusive field research tasks to collect by spinning Pokestops during the Luminous Legends Y event. Below, you’ll find all the field research tasks and rewards:
- Catch 5 Shadow Pokemon – Skorupi encounter
- Defeat 2 Team Go Rocket Grunts – Murkrow, Houndour, or Liepard encounter
- Defeat 5 Team Go Rocket Grunts – Meowth encounter
- Defeat a Team Go Rocket Leader – Galarian Zigzagoon encounter
- Purify 5 Shadow Pokemon – Spritzee or Swirlix encounter
- Win 2 Raids – Scraggy encounter
Pokemon Go Luminous Legends Y start date & time
The Pokemon Go Luminous Legends Y event will be split into two separate parts, each offering players different content and features.
- Part 1 of the Luminous Legends Y event is scheduled to start Tuesday, May 18, at 10:00 AM and conclude on May 24, at 8:00 PM
- Part 2 of the Luminous Legends Y event will begin on Tuesday, May 25 at 10:00 AM and finish on May 31, at 8:00 PM
Pokemon Go Luminous Legends Y wild spawns
Luminous Legends Y will boost the spawn rates of a specific type of Pokemon in the wild. In this event, Dark-type Pokemon will be spawning more frequently.
Here’s a full list of the Pokemon with boosted spawn rates:
Pokemon Go Luminous Legends Y 7km/12km eggs
New Pokemon will be hatching from 7km and 12km eggs during the event. It’s even been revealed that Pancham will be available to obtain in Strange Eggs throughout the Luminous Legends Y event.
7KM Eggs (Part 1)
- Alolan Rattata
- Alolan Grimer
- Alolan Meowth
7KM Eggs (Part 2)
12km Strange Eggs
Pokemon Go Luminous Legends Y Sylveon Debut
Sylveon will be making its Pokemon Go debut during Part two of the Luminous Legend Y event. This iconic Fairy-type Mon is a fan favorite among the community and has been heavily requested by trainers, so it’s great to it finally making its debut.
It’s worth noting that players can Evolve Eevee into Sylveon by earning hearts when the Mon is set as your buddy.
Pokemon Go Luminous Legends Y Raid changes
Yveltal, the Destruction Pokemon will be available in five-star-raids throughout the entire event. This will provide trainers with an incredibly challenging encounter so make sure you’re prepared!
- Read More: Top 15 best Pokemon games ever, ranked
Aolan Meowth will also make an appearance in Raids during the first half of the event with Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, Umbreon, and Galarian Zigzagoon all arriving in part two of the event.
Team Go Rocket Grunt Global Challenge
Niantic is hosting a Global Challenge at the beginning of the Luminous Legend Y event. If trainers can defeat over 25 million Team GO Rocket Grunts from May 15, 12:00 AM to May 23, 11:59 PM, players will earn a set of rewards for the second half of the event. You can check these out below:
- 3x Catch XP bonus
- Galarian Zigzagoon Shiny will now be available to find
- Galarian Zigzagoon will be appearing in Raids
Remember, in order to gain these rewards the whole community has to contribute, so make sure to get involved from May 15! You can find out more information on the Go Rocket Grunt Global Challenge here.