Niantic have introduced a new Pokemon Go research quest, Jump-Start Research, allowing trainers to accumulate a number of different rewards by completing relatively simple tasks.
Pokemon Go's latest addition to their special research tasks means trainers who haven't played the game in a while, can jump straight back into the action, catching up on stardust, XP and encountering some rare Pokemon as rewards along the way. Of course, regular players can also complete it too for a welcomed boost.
Other special research quests, such as "A Mythical Discovery" and "Let's GO, Meltan", result in a special encounter with Mew and Meltan respectively. However, the Jump-Start Research quest works a little differently and acts as a way to quickly climb through the ranks - therefore negating a final special encounter.
Jump-Start Research tasks list
The tasks are broken down into six stages. These tasks and subsequent rewards are as follows:
Jump-Start Research 1/6
- Make a new friend - 5,000 XP
- Catch 3 Pokemon with Weather Boost - 5,000 XP
- Hatch an Egg - 5,000 XP
- Rewards: 2 Lucky Eggs, Dratini Encounter, 15,000 Stardust
Jump-Start Research 2/6
- Earn a Candy walking with your buddy - 30 Dratini Candy
- Take a snapshot of Dratini - 30 Dratini Candy
- Evolve a Dratini - 10,000 XP
- Rewards: Premium Raid Pass, 15,000 Stardust, 2 Lucky Eggs
Jump-Start Research 3/6
- Power up Pokemon 10 times - 15,000 XP
- Battle another Trainer in the Great League - 15,000 XP
- Battle in a Raid - 15,000 XP
- Rewards: 2 Lucky Eggs, 15,000 XP, 2 Star Piece
Jump-Start Research 4/6
- Catch 5 different species of Pokemon - Chimchar encounter
- Catch a Legendary from either a Research Breakthrough or Raid - Piplup encounter
- Hatch 3 Eggs - Turtwig encounter
- Rewards: 2 Lucky Eggs, Shiny Eevee Encounter, 15,000 Stardust
Jump-Start Research 5/6
- Take a snapshot of Eevee - 30,000 XP
- Send 5 gifts to friends - 30,000 XP
- Trade 3 Pokemon - 30,000 XP
- Rewards: Lapras Encounter, 30,000 XP, 2 Lucky Eggs
Jump-Start Research 6/6
- Make a New Friend - 60 Dratini candy
- Win a level 3 or higher Raid - 60 Dratini candy
- Evolve a Dragonair - 100,000 XP
- Rewards: 2 Lucky Eggs. 100,000 XP, 15,000 Stardust
Can wait to do quest_new_friends_singular pic.twitter.com/l2cdUbXHDE
— Sir Ammonite (@Sir_Ammonite) June 28, 2019
What is quest_new_friends_singular?
Pokemon Go trainers have become confused with one particular quest though. In stage one of the Jump-Start Research quests, the first task simply states quest_new_friends_singular.
Don't worry, you're right to think the task doesn't make sense. The task name appears to be mistakenly put as the string code as opposed to the display name. The actual task should read "Make a new friend". This issue can be solved in most cases by closing and restarting the app.
Trainers have until September 2 to start the quest which is when Pokemon Go's third anniversary event concludes.