The first Pokemon Go Community Day of 2019 has been announced. Totodile, one of the gen 2 starting Pokemon, will be the featured Pokemon for January!
Pokemon Go Community Day January Event
The first community day of 2019 is already highly anticipated. As suspected, it has been confirmed that the water-type Pokemon, Totodile will be the centre piece for the Pokemon Go January Community Day.
In addition to this two bonuses have also been confirmed the January event:
- Egg hatching will take 1/4 of the distance
- Lures will last for three hours
These bonuses also stack on top of the currently on-going Pokemon Go Hatchathon event. Simply put, this means you can accrue a lot of stardust and candy!
There is a lot of uncertainty about how incubator bonuses will work before, during and after the community day. This includes the stacking element with previous perks. These points should clarify:
- To take advantage of the quicker incubating times you MUST place the egg in the incubator AFTER the event starts
- As long as the egg is placed in the incubator during the event, the lowered hatch distance will still apply for that egg after the event
- Placing an egg in a super incubator will result in a further decrease in distance required. For example, a 10km egg during the event will take 1.67km to hatch. 10km/4=2.5km, 2.5km/1.5=1.67km
January Exclusive Move
Exclusive moves are yet another reason to participate in Pokemon Go Community Days. If you can evolve Totodile into its final evolution, Feraligatr, then it will learn the powerful water-type attack Hydro Cannon. This evolution must occur prior to one hour after the Community Day event ends.
— Pokémon GO is ready to #GOBattle:heavy_exclamation_mark: (@PokemonGoApp) January 9, 2019
Totodile was the clear contender to be the January headliner. Observant Pokemon Go players will have noticed a pattern in Community Day Pokemon. Starting Pokemon have been the headlining Pokemon in odd months. Pikachu in January 2018, Bulbasaur in March 2018 and so forth.
Moreover, November's Pokemon was Cyndaquil. Consequently, Totodile was the obvious choice to feature in January 2019.
Read More: More Gen 4 Pokemon Coming to Go Soon?
Community Day 2018
The news was confirmed on the official Pokemon Go Twitter account:
It’s time to start the new year with a splash, Trainers! Next month’s #PokemonGOCommunityDay will be held during the second weekend of January, featuring the Water-type Pokémon Totodile! :droplet:https://t.co/d9NW6x5gaF pic.twitter.com/qhRmBrtrJ0
— Pokémon GO is ready to #GOBattle:heavy_exclamation_mark: (@PokemonGoApp) December 19, 2018
Community Day January Date
The Pokemon Go Community Day for January will take place January 12. The times of the event vary by continent but are listed below:
- Americas and Greenland: 11am PST to 2pm PST (2pm ET to 5pm ET)
- Europe, Middle East, Africa and India: 10am GMT to 1pm GMT
- Asia Pacific: 12pm JST to 3pm JST