There has been a lot discussion about the lack of the National Pokedex in Pokemon Sword and Shield. So we've decided to look at which Pokemon haven't made it to the Galar region.
Brexit may have been on the lips of the world in the lead up to its release but for the Pokemon Community the hot topic was 'Dexit'. The controversial National Pokedex removal dominated the build up to the Gen 8 game.
This is the first time a mainline Pokemon game won't feature every single species. Initially the Galar Pokedex included 400 Pokemon in total but this has since increased (thanks to Pokemon Home).
While potential Pokemon Sword and Shield purchasers will look at which characters have made the cut, it is easy to forget some. After all, through the seven generations so far there are already 809 species.
It might be better to look at a list that shows which Pokemon won't be in the game. That way you'll know exactly what to expect, which may alleviate the inevitable disappointment that will come when a particular species is absent.
Species NOT in Pokemon Sword Shield
We've decided to compile a list of every single species that aren't in Pokemon Sword and Shield.
To make it even clearer, we have broken them down by generation too. They are as follows:
- Gen 1: Weedle, Kakuna, Beedrill, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidegot, Rattata, Raticate, Spearow, Fearow, Ekans, Arbok, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Nidoran F, Nidorina, Nidoqueen, Nidoran M, Nidorino, Nidoking, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Zubat, Golbat, Paras, Parasect, Venonat, Venomoth, Psyduck, Golduck, Mankey, Primeape, Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Tenatcool, Tentacruel, Geodude, Graveler, Golem, Slowbro, Magnemite, Magneton, Doduo, Dodrio, Seel, Dewgong, Grimer, Muk, Drowzee, Hypno, Voltorb, Electrode, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Cubone, Marowak, Lickitung, Chansey, Tangela, Kangaskhan, Horsea, Seadra, Staryu, Starmie, Scyther, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, Pinsir, Tauros, Porygon, Omanyte, Omastar, Kabuto, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Dratini, Dragonair and Dragonite
- Gen 2: Chikorita, Bayleef, Meganium, Cyndaquil, Quilava, Typhlosion, Totodile, Croconaw, Feraligatr, Sentret, Furret, Ledyba, Ledian, Spinarak, Ariados, Crobat, Igglybuff, Mareep, Flaaffy, Ampharos, Marill, Azumarill, Politoed, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Aipom, Sunkern, Sunflora, Yanma, Murkrow, Slowking, Misdreavus, Unown, Girafarig, Pineco, Forretress, Dunsparce, Gligar, Snubbull, Granbull, Scizor, Heracross, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Slugma, Magcargo, Skarmory, Houndour, Houndoom, Kingdra, Phanpy, Donphan, Porygon2, Stantler, Smeargle, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Miltank, Blissey, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia and Ho-Oh
- Gen 3: Treecko, Grovyle, Sceptile, Torchic, Combusken, Blaziken, Mudkip, Marshtomp, Swampert, Poochyenam Mightyena, Wurmple, Silcoon, Beautifly, Cascoon, Dustox, Tailow, Swellow, Surskit, Masquerain, Shroomish, Breloom, Slakoth, Vigoroth, Slaking, Whismur, Loudred, Exploud, Makuhota, Hariyama, Azurill, Nosepass, Skitty, Delcatty, Aron, Lairon, Aggron, Meditite, Medicham, Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Gulpin, Swalot, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Numel, Camerupt, Spoink, Grumpig, Spinda, Cacnea, Cacturne, Swablu, Altaria, Zangoose, Seviper, Lileep, Cradily, Anorith, Armaldo, Castform, Kecleon, Shuppet, Banette, Tropius, Chimecho, Absol, Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein, Clamperl, Huntail, Gorebyss, Relicanth, Luvdisc, Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence, Beldum, Metang, Metagross, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza and Deoxys
- Gen 4: Turtwig, Grotle, Torterra, Chimchar, Monferno, Infernape, Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon, Starly, Staravia, Staraptor, Bidoff, Bibarel, Kricketot, Kricketune, Shinx, Luxio, Luxray, Crandiso, Rampardos, Shieldon, Bastiodon, Burmy, Wormadam, Mothim, Pachirisu, Buizel, Floatzel, Ambipom, Buneary, Lopunny, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Glameow, Purugly, Chingling, Happiny, Chatot, Spiritomb, Gible, Gabite, Garchomp, Carnivine, Finneon, Lumineon, Magnezone, Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Electivire, Magmortar, Yanmega, Gliscor, Porygon-Z, Probopass, Uxie, Mespirit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Regigigias, Giratina, Cresselia, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus
- Gen 5: Victini, Snivy, Servine, Serperior, Tepig, Pignite, Emboar, Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott, Patrat, Watchog, Lillipup, Herdier, Stoutland, Pansage, Simisage, Pansear, Simisear, Panpour, Simipour, Blitzle, Zebstrika, Audino, Sewaddle, Swadloon, Leavanny, Venipede, Whirlipede, Scolipede, Petilil, Lilligant, Sandile, Krokorok, Krookodile, Tirtouga, Carracosta, Archen, Arcehops, Zorua, Zoroark, Ducklett, Swanna, Deerling, Sawsbuck, Emolga, Foongus, Amoongus, Alomomola, Tynamo, Eelektrik, Eelektross, Cryogonal, Mienfoo, Mienshao, Druddigon, Bouffalant, Larvesta, Volcarona, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, Meloetta and Genesect
- Gen 6: Chespin, Quilladin, Chesnaught, Fennekin, Braixen, Delphox, Froakie, Frogadier, Greninja, Fletchling, Fletchinder, Talonflame, Scatterbug, Spewpa, Vivillon, Litleo, Pyroar, Flabebe, Floette, Florges, Skiddo, Gogoat, Furfrou, Skrelp, Dragalge, Clauncher, Clawitzer, Tyrunt, Tyrantrum, Amaura, Aurorus, Dedenne, Carbink, Klefki, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa and Volcanion
- Gen 7: Pikipek, Trumbeak, Toucannon, Yungoos, Gumshoos, Crabawler, Crabominable, Oricorio, Rockruff, Lycanroc Formantis, Lurantis, Comfey, Sandygast, Palossand, Minior, Komala, Bruxish, Tapu-Koko, Tapu-Lele, Tapu-Bulu, Tapu-Fini, Nihilego, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord, Magearna, Poipole, Naganadel, Stakataka and Blacephalon
More than 435?
This list will soon be cut down, however. With the Pokemon Sword and Shield expansion pass a few months away some of these species will be added to the game.
The additional 35 Pokemon added to the game can only, currently, be obtained by transferring them via Pokemon Home. They may be catch-able within the game at a later point.