There has been a lot discussion about the National Pokedex and which Pokemon will be in Sword and Shield. However, maybe it's better to look at it from the perspective of which Pokemon haven't made it to the Galar region.
The world may be talking about Brexit but the entire Pokemon community is far more interested in 'Dexit'. The play on words refers to the controversial National Pokedex removal.
This is the first time a mainline Pokemon game won't feature every single species. It first appeared that there would be 400 new entries in total but if leaks are to believed, there will actually be 435 Pokemon.
While potential Pokemon Sword and Shield purchasers will look at which characters have made the cut, it is easy to forget some. After all, through the seven generations so far there are already 809 species.
It might be better to look at a list that shows which Pokemon won't be in the game. That way you'll know exactly what to expect, which may alleviate the inevitable disappointment that will come when a particular species is absent.
Species NOT in Pokemon Sword Shield
We've decided to compile a list of every single species that won't be in Pokemon Sword and Shield, at least according leaks.
To make it even clearer, we have broken them down by generation too. They are as follows:
- Gen 1: Weedle, Kakuna, Beedrill, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidegot, Rattata, Raticate, Spearow, Fearow, Ekans, Arbok, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Nidoran F, Nidorina, Nidoqueen, Nidoran M, Nidorino, Nidoking, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Zubat, Golbat, Paras, Parasect, Venonat, Venomoth, Psyduck, Golduck, Mankey, Primeape, Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Tenatcool, Tentacruel, Geodude, Graveler, Golem, Slowpoke, Slowbro, Magnemite, Magneton, Doduo, Dodrio, Seel, Dewgong, Grimer, Muk, Drowzee, Hypno, Voltorb, Electrode, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Cubone, Marowak, Lickitung, Chansey, Tangela, Kangaskhan, Horsea, Seadra, Staryu, Starmie, Scyther, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, Pinsir, Tauros, Porygon, Omanyte, Omastar, Kabuto, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Dratini, Dragonair and Dragonite
- Gen 2: Chikorita, Bayleef, Meganium, Cyndaquil, Quilava, Typhlosion, Totodile, Croconaw, Feraligatr, Sentret, Furret, Ledyba, Ledian, Spinarak, Ariados, Crobat, Igglybuff, Mareep, Flaaffy, Ampharos, Marill, Azumarill, Politoed, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Aipom, Sunkern, Sunflora, Yanma, Murkrow, Slowking, Misdreavus, Unown, Girafarig, Pineco, Forretress, Dunsparce, Gligar, Snubbull, Granbull, Scizor, Heracross, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Slugma, Magcargo, Skarmory, Houndour, Houndoom, Kingdra, Phanpy, Donphan, Porygon2, Stantler, Smeargle, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Miltank, Blissey, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia and Ho-Oh
- Gen 3: Treecko, Grovyle, Sceptile, Torchic, Combusken, Blaziken, Mudkip, Marshtomp, Swampert, Poochyenam Mightyena, Wurmple, Silcoon, Beautifly, Cascoon, Dustox, Tailow, Swellow, Surskit, Masquerain, Shroomish, Breloom, Slakoth, Vigoroth, Slaking, Whismur, Loudred, Exploud, Makuhota, Hariyama, Azurill, Nosepass, Skitty, Delcatty, Aron, Lairon, Aggron, Meditite, Medicham, Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Gulpin, Swalot, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Numel, Camerupt, Spoink, Grumpig, Spinda, Cacnea, Cacturne, Swablu, Altaria, Zangoose, Seviper, Lileep, Cradily, Anorith, Armaldo, Castform, Kecleon, Shuppet, Banette, Tropius, Chimecho, Absol, Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein, Clamperl, Huntail, Gorebyss, Relicanth, Luvdisc, Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence, Beldum, Metang, Metagross, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza and Deoxys
- Gen 4: Turtwig, Grotle, Torterra, Chimchar, Monferno, Infernape, Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon, Starly, Staravia, Staraptor, Bidoff, Bibarel, Kricketot, Kricketune, Shinx, Luxio, Luxray, Crandiso, Rampardos, Shieldon, Bastiodon, Burmy, Wormadam, Mothim, Pachirisu, Buizel, Floatzel, Ambipom, Buneary, Lopunny, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Glameow, Purugly, Chingling, Mime-Jr, Happiny, Chatot, Spiritomb, Gible, Gabite, Garchomp, Carnivine, Finneon, Lumineon, Abomasnow, Magnezone, Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Electivire, Magmortar, Yanmega, Gliscor, Porygon-Z, Probopass, Uxie, Mespirit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Regigigias, Giratina, Cresselia, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus
- Gen 5: Victini, Snivy, Servine, Serperior, Tepig, Pignite, Emboar, Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott, Patrat, Watchog, Lillipup, Herdier, Stoutland, Pansage, Simisage, Pansear, Simisear, Panpour, Simipour, Blitzle, Zebstrika, Audino, Sewaddle, Swadloon, Leavanny, Venipede, Whirlipede, Scolipede, Petilil, Lilligant, Sandile, Krokorok, Krookodile, Tirtouga, Carracosta, Archen, Arcehops, Zorua, Zoroark, Ducklett, Swanna, Deerling, Sawsbuck, Emolga, Foongus, Amoongus, Alomomola, Tynamo, Eelektrik, Eelektross, Cryogonal, Mienfoo, Mienshao, Druddigon, Bouffalant, Larvesta, Volcarona, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, Meloetta and Genesect
- Gen 6: Chespin, Quilladin, Chesnaught, Fennekin, Braixen, Delphox, Froakie, Frogadier, Greninja, Fletchling, Fletchinder, Talonflame, Scatterbug, Spewpa, Vivillon, Litleo, Pyroar, Flabebe, Floette, Florges, Skiddo, Gogoat, Furfrou, Meowstic, Skrelp, Dragalge, Clauncher, Clawitzer, Tyrunt, Tyrantrum, Amaura, Aurorus, Dedenne, Carbink, Klefki, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa and Volcanion
- Gen 7: Pikipek, Trumbeak, Toucannon, Yungoos, Gumshoos, Crabawler, Crabominable, Oricorio, Rockruff, Lycanroc Formantis, Lurantis, Comfey, Sandygast, Palossand, Minior, Komala, Bruxish, Tapu-Koko, Tapu-Lele, Tapu-Bulu, Tapu-Fini, Nihilego, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord, Magearna, Poipole, Naganadel, Stakataka and Blacephalon
More than 400?
It should be noted that the likes of Bulbasaur, Squirtle and their respective evolutions are reportedly not among the 400 but are within the leaked 435. This also applies to the Alola starters Rowlet, Litten and Popplio.
Various legendary Pokemon are also in the same boat whereby the likes of the Kanto birds — Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres — Celebi, Jirachi, Cobalion and more are also within that mysterious 35.
Whether and how they'll be added to the game should be revealed soon as Pokemon Sword and Shield is released on November 15.