As the release of Pokemon Sword and Shield edges ever closer a select number of media outlets have had the opportunity to play the game, revealing previously unknown details in the process.
While some details have to remain hidden, such as new Pokemon, the majority of what was recorded could be shared. They were permitted to play the first two hours of Pokemon Sword and Shield, meaning the reveals naturally revolve around the early game.
These reveals include spoilers, so if you want to enjoy the game without any of the storyline being revealed proceed with caution. Before we get into those spoilers though, let's take a look at the new details that have been discovered about the game itself.
A long list, bullet pointing each reveal has been compiled by Redditor edibletwin.
- The pro controller can be used with Pokemon Sword and Shield.
- At least in the early game, the game runs smoothly, without any noticeable hiccups or framerate drops in docked mode.
- British vernacular is present in the game i.e. "mum" "telly" "you look fresher than a mint!"
- The starting village is named Wedgehurst.
- You can skip the Pokemon-catching tutorial.
- You can whistle to attract wild Pokemon to your position.
- A forest area near Wedgehurst is named Slumbering Weald. There are at least a couple of unrevealed Pokemon in Slumbering Weald.
- There are at least seven different unrevealed Pokemon north of Wedgehurst.
- The first major city you visit in Galar is named Motostoke, which is also host to the first gym in the game.
- On top of healing Pokemon and buying items, players can have Pokemon nicknames rated and re-nickname Pokemon while in Pokemon Centers, as well as delete moves.
- You can change eye colours and eyebrows when customizing your character.
- Experience is distributed across your team from captures and winning battles. However, there reportedly does not appear to be an option to disable the automatic Exp. Share.
- As before, TMs are multi-use. The TM for Swift is found early on in the game.
- In the Wild Area, some Pokemon have a yellow aura around them. This shows that they have Max Individual Values (IVs) in certain stats or have an Egg move.
- You can access your Pokemon PC Box remotely (similar to the Let's Go games) in the Wild Area.
- The Pokemon Company executives estimate that the wild area is about the size of approximately two regions of The Legend of Zelda's Hyrule: Breath of the Wild.
- In the Wild Area, you can discover that the wild Pokemon can now be drastically overlevelled.
- A feature allows you to see all Pokemon in one area, similar to DexNav in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.
- It is also possible to know the weather conditions of the places by receiving a warning each time this changes.
- There is a feature where "You will also be warned about your main mission if it takes too long to do so, to remind the unaware that they are too enchanted to remember where they will have to go."
- Rare Candy now does not raise a complete Pokemon level. These candies come in different sizes which when consumed by the Pokemon will give different amounts of experience points according to these sizes.
The spoilers revolving around the Pokemon Sword and Shield storyline are as follows:
- The game opens with an introduction from [Story spoiler] Chairman Rose, in the middle of a stadium in the style of a TV broadcast, instead of the usual Professor monologue. After Rose's speech, Leon emerges to begin a battle with an unknown character. Broadcast cuts just as Leon's Charizard starts to grow.
- Leon offers you your choice of Starter Pokemon in Wedgehurst. Hop picks the Pokemon weaker to yours. Leon takes back the unselected Starter.
- Wooloo features prominently in the beginning of the game. Hop has one (yes, you go up against both Hop's Starter Pokemon and his Wooloo in your first battle with him). And you embark on a main story quest to save a runaway Wooloo from Slumbering Weald after your battle with him.
- Early in the game, you have a "chance run-in with a powerful Pokemon of ancient legend, setting up a fateful meeting far down the line in the narrative".
- Professor Magnolia’s lab is in Wedgehurst. When you first visit it after rescuing the Wooloo, you are greeted by her granddaughter and assistant Sonia, and you realise that Professor Magnolia is not in the lab. Professor Magnolia is on a trip north of Wedgehurst.
- Professor Magnolia/Leon give you and Hop Letters of Endorsement so you can challenge the gym leaders throughout Galar.
You'll be able to get all the details when Pokemon Sword and Shield releases on November 15.