X6 Gaming are the champions of the inaugural Overwatch Contenders Korea.
X6 beat underdogs Ardeont with a comfortable 4-0 sweep in the final to secure the trophy.
Overwatch Contenders is the second tier of official Overwatch competition beneath the Overwatch League. While Contenders was run in North America and Europe in 2017, for 2018 the system has been revamped and expanded, with divisions now in seven regions around the world.
Overwatch Contenders Korea is the spiritual successor to OGN’s APEX, which was the world’s premier Overwatch tournament prior to the Overwatch League. While many of Korea’s greatest talents now compete in OWL, Contenders Korea is still expected to produce some of the game’s future superstars.
The playoffs produced a somewhat surprising finalist in Ardeont, who after an unexceptional regular season were able to eliminate favorites Element Mystic in the quarter-finals before making a run to the finals. Unfortunately, the fairy tale ended there, with X6 Gaming sweeping them aside convincingly.
Teams were awarded prize money based on their results in the regular season as well as their final placement. The bottom four teams will drop into Contenders Trials, where they will face the top four teams from the Open Division to reclaim a spot in Contenders Season Two.
Full final placements for Overwatch Contenders Korea Season One:
- 1st – X6 Gaming – $40,198
- 2nd – O2 Ardeont – $21,620
- 3rd/4th – RunAway – $18,544
- 3rd/4th – Meta Bellum – $17,002
- 5th/8th – Element Mystic – $15,576
- 5th/8th – Seven – $14,805
- 5th/8th – Foxes – $13,263
- 5th/8th – KongDoo Panthera – $13,006
- 9th-10th – MVP Space – $8,399
- 9th-10th – BlossoM – $7,885
- 11th-12th – Meta Athena – $7,628
- 11th-12th – WGS Laurels Nine – $7,114