Overwatch

Overwatch pro Mouffin breaks silence on sexual misconduct allegations

by Isaac McIntyre
Activision-Blizzard

Share


Former Boston Uprising pro Walid ‘Mouffin’ Bassal has finally broken his silence after the now-sacked Overwatch League star was accused of sexual misconduct by members of the Overwatch community on March 27.

Eleven days ago, Twitch streamer KhaleesiBB shared a TwitLonger detailing the allegations against Mouffin. According to Khaleesi, the Overwatch star had been messaging other girls, including her friends, and asking for inappropriate photos.

On March 29, the Uprising confirmed they were investigating the allegations. Mouffin was also benched for Boston’s Week 8 matchup with Toronto Defiant. His team went on to lose 3–1. On April 4, Bassal was officially released. 

Advertisement

Mouffin announces Twitter hiatus amid apology

After two weeks of radio silence, Bassal has now publicly addressed the alleged misconduct in his own 4,476-word Twitter statement. According to the disgraced OWL pro, he will now be taking “a very long break from Twitter.”

“I’m sorry for disappointing all my friends, fans, ex-teammates, and ex-organization for all of this,” Bassal said in his lengthy TwitLonger.

“What I’m going to do with my future is finalize the arranged marriage, seek the necessary help I need, and live a life where nothing can negatively impact me anymore and I can work on myself to do better.”

Disgraced Boston flex tank Mouffin has called on his friends to
Activision-Blizzard
The disgraced Boston flex tank has called on his friends to "hold him accountable."

Advertisement

Mouffin also added “getting terminated was obviously bad,” but he wasn’t too worried about it despite “losing a lot.” He didn't mind being dropped because it means he can return to his family and see his siblings again, he said.

Finally, the former pro called for those close to him to “hold him accountable” in the future: “For those that want to stick around me, don’t accept my f**kups. Instead, help me get through it all and help me learn to be a better person.”

Advertisement

Mouffin tells his side of the story

There were three allegations he addressed in his statement. The first was the suggestion he was “aggressive… and creepy” at TwitchCon. According to the sacked star, though, he had just been “a complete simp,” never violent.

He and Khaleesi were set to discuss “what they were doing” in their ongoing long-distance relationship while at the convention, he explained.

After discovering Khaleesi spent one of the evenings with another friend ⁠— a fact Mouffin admitted he discovered by “peaking (sic) out the balcony” to look into her bedroom ⁠— Bassal broke down. He added he “cried all night long.”

KhaleesiBB shared her own statement regarding Mouffin on March 27. He was benched, and then sacked, soon after.
Twitch: KhaleesiBB
KhaleesiBB shared her own statement regarding Mouffin on March 27. He was benched, and then sacked, soon after.

Advertisement

Mouffin also admitted to the accusations he had spoken to a 17-year-old girl, who he dubbed “€,” after TwitchCon. He claims to have “had no bad intentions," but also admitted once she turned 18 they “grew more intimate with each other.”

Bassal did not, however, comment on the alleged "nude images" sent to underage girls. He also did not including any comments on Khaleesi's suggestions he had been "aggressively" messaging her friends for weeks after TwitchCon.

Mouffin reveals arranged marriage in Lebanon

He did, however, reveal he was panicking because of an arranged marriage awaiting him in Lebanon. With that looming over his head, Mouffin explained, he wanted to find “the perfect girl” to show his family to avoid the deal.

None of this, however, excuses the unacceptable behaviour before, during, and after the TwitchCon event, his statement reveals. He also denied all accusations regarding “violence,” as well as suggestions he inappropriately approached girls at the 2019 event.

You can read Mouffin’s full 4,476-word statement here.

Mouffin addressed most of the allegations against him in a 4,476-word TwitLonger on April 6.
Overwatch League
Mouffin addressed most of the allegations against him in a 4,476-word TwitLonger on April 6.

Boston has not played another Overwatch League match since their 3–1 loss to Toronto on March 28.

Thomas 'brussen' Brussen has now replaced Mouffin in the Uprising roster and is expected to start against Houston on April 11.