Overwatch

MonteCristo explains surprise departure from Overwatch League

by Bill Cooney
Robert Paul/Blizzard Entertainment

Share


Storied esports caster and analyst Christopher 'MonteCristo' Mykles made a surprise announcement on the last day of 2019 that he wouldn't be returning for the Overwatch League's third season.

UPDATE 12/31 1:00 PM ET: Monte's casting partner Erik DoA Lonnquist has also announced that his Overwatch League contract is up for 2020.

Monte and his partner Erik 'DoA' Lonnquist were one of the original casting duos in the league, calling games throughout the Inaugural Season and Season 2.

On December 31, 2019, Monte announced on Twitter that he wouldn't be returning to the OWL in 2020 and gave some explanation as to why he was leaving.

Advertisement

"I would like to announce that today is the last day of my @overwatchleague contract and I will not be returning next year," Monte wrote on Twitter. "Although I had a great time helping to develop and launch the league in the first two seasons, I am leaving to pursue further career growth."

The reason for the surprise split, according to the caster, was "irreconcilable creative and philosophical differences" between Monte and the league caused by the departure of Commissioner Nate Nanzer in May 2019.

Advertisement

The caster talked to Dexerto earlier in 2019 about what he would change in the Overwatch League, and now it looks like he'll be watching along with the rest of us from the sidelines to see if they listened.

Monte also said he would "cease creating Overwatch-focused analysis and power rankings on my personal channel," citing little interest in such content, but he did wish the League success going into 2020, arguably it's most important so far.

"Although I enjoy making these videos, the low demand for supplementary OWL content means that my energies are best used elsewhere," he explained. "I wish the @overwatchleague success in this pivotal year of localization and I hope we can find some way to work together again in the future."

Advertisement

As for Monte himself, he revealed he would be continuing to produce esports content and broadcasts going forward, but he didn't exactly reveal for what game or in what capacity he would do so.

"I will not only continue to perform as on-camera talent, but I will also broaden my skill-set as a creative director and producer," Monte said. "I will be able to share more details on my new projects in the coming weeks."

It will certainly be interesting to see what Monte gets himself into going forward, and what other changes will be coming to the Overwatch League and its talent for 2020.