Ex-OWL caster MonteCristo blasts "insecure" commissioner for alleged lies - Dexerto
Overwatch

Ex-OWL caster MonteCristo blasts “insecure” commissioner for alleged lies

Published: 17/Jan/2020 19:23 Updated: 17/Jan/2020 21:24

by Michael Gwilliam

Share


Former Overwatch commentator Christopher ‘MonteCristo’ Mykles blasted the league’s commissioner Pete Vlastelica for allegedly lying in an interview with Esports Observer.

UPDATE – Jan 17 at 4:20 PM

An Overwatch League spokesperson provided the following statement to Dexerto: “The Overwatch League has worked hard to put together the best possible roster of talent for the 2020 season, and you can expect to see more announcements soon on that front. We greatly value the contributions of the talent team from last season, and we did make offers to most of that team to return this year. We prefer not to comment on individual negotiations, but we can confirm that we chose not to offer new contracts to everyone from the 2019 roster. We wish all of our departing talent the best of luck in their future endeavors.”

Original story follows:

Vlastelica claimed that the departures of Monte, DoA, Malik Forte, Chris Puckett and CSGO legend Auguste ‘Semmler’ Massonnat signified the league was “putting together the best possible pool of talent that we think fits with what our audience is looking for.”

According to the commissioner, it was the “property’s decision” to part ways with some of the broadcast talent, something disputed by both Monte and his former casting partner Erik ‘Doa’ Lonnquist.

“So now Pete Vlastelica is just lying,” Monte said and added that all the casters who left the league had been asked to return.

Over on the Competitive Overwatch subreddit, DoA chimed in: “as far as I’m aware all the talent that left had been asked to come back to OWL at some point during the offseason. The reasons for leaving varied.”

He then provided some additional insight into the reasons for his departure: “For myself at least I can confirm that I turned down their offer. It wasn’t contentious and I feel like I’m still on good terms with the majority of people in the league. There’s definitely no ill will on my side of things.”

Former Overwatch League caster MonteCristo stares to the side during an esports broadcast
Robert Paul for Blizzard Entertainment
MonteCristo left Overwatch League citing creative differences.

Monte, however, further fanned the flames and took aim at Vlastelica, who he called “pathetic” and “insecure.”

“Imagine being so insecure as a commissioner that you need to take an interview to lie and announce an announcement,” he ripped. “If you are confident in your product you just say nothing and then announce your deals when you sign. Pathetic.”

The announcement in question is the anticipation of a media rights deal, which Vlastelica says is taking longer than expected due to an increase in interested bidders and an appreciation for the value.

The league’s now-expired deal with Twitch was reportedly worth around $45 million annually, so it’s not clear how much the new media rights deal will be valued at.

It will be interesting to see if the league stays with Twitch or if another player, such as Mixer, makes an offer that the league can’t refuse.

Call of Duty

FormaL claims FaZe are OpTic Chicago’s toughest competition for CDL 2021

Published: 26/Nov/2020 2:42 Updated: 26/Nov/2020 2:51

by Theo Salaun

Share


OpTic Chicago’s Matthew ‘FormaL’ Piper has revealed that he thinks the Atlanta FaZe will be the team to beat in the Call of Duty League’s 2021 season, citing how similar the two teams are.

A seven-year veteran in professional Call of Duty, FormaL boasts a wealth of expertise and some interesting insights. Excited for Black Ops Cold War and a refreshed CDL roster, back under the OpTic banner, the 2017 World Champion broke down his expectations for the 2021 season on an episode of “The Bakery” podcast.

Tucked in between romantic stories of trying to hide his gaming career from a crush and resisting Seth ‘Scump’ Abner’s kiss attempts, FormaL discussed the upcoming competitive season. With former teammate Alec ‘Arcitys’ Sanderson moved over to Atlanta, OpTic’s AR revealed that FaZe are the biggest concern in 2021 — not the 2020 champion Dallas Empire.

With the league transitioning to 4 vs. 4 and Treyarch’s Black Ops Cold War, FormaL believes that Chicago is primed to win CDL Champs, but that Atlanta is the toughest test ahead.

For mobile users, segment begins at 39:45.

Like sniping from the safety of a head glitch, FormaL did not hesitate at all when asked who would Chicago considers the most troubling team in 2021: “Definitely FaZe. FaZe is just another powerhouse … They’re pretty well-rounded, they got an insane amount of talent, they all want to play with each other. It’s just how our team is.”

Pinpointing FaZe’s roster balance, FormaL elaborated that the inclusion of Arcitys simply adds a new element to the competition between Chicago and Atlanta: “Alec’s a really good friend of mine. It’s gonna be really fun to play against him the whole year. You’ve got the Simp, aBeZy duo, you’ve got the Cellium thing … it’s gonna be a good rivalry for sure.”

In 2020, Chris ‘Simp’ Lehr and Tyler ‘aBeZy’ Pharris were one of the best SMG duos in the CDL while McArthur ‘Cellium’ Jovel was an MVP candidate (alongside Simp) in the flex role. When he spoke with Dexerto back in July, Cellium also told us that he thought Arcitys was the best AR in the league.

While respectful of the talent and balance this new FaZe roster enjoys, FormaL was unfazed when asked who wins CDL Champs 2021: “We do. 100 percent.” This coincides with his earlier explanation that the change to 4 vs. 4 suits a Chicago team that prefers that style, is excited to reunite with Dashy, and enjoys Treyarch titles.

Last year, the Empire came first, FaZe came second, and Chicago (at that point, the Huntsmen) came third. This year, FormaL expects to win, FaZe to repeat with silver, and it doesn’t even seem like third place is on his radar: “I don’t know who the f**k comes third, Paris?”