A new set of leaks has surfaced online about the next installment of the popular Grand Theft Auto franchise, going into detail about a variety of aspects about the game.
There has been a lot of speculation about the next GTA game, which most are referring to as GTA 6, although developers Rockstar Games haven't officially confirmed or announced anything about the game.
The latest addition to the rumor mill is a set of leaks published on Reddit by user 'JackOLantern1982,' who posted a series of details about specific features of the game.
In his post, the user claims that the information was given to him by two "reliable" friends, who have worked for prestigious gaming news outlets that include Kotaku and PC Game.
In a comment he elaborated on the relationship when someone questioned him: "Friends, as in we went to the same college and university together before he moved to Edinburgh for his career. We stay in touch through calls and discord etc. Play games every now and then."
He also claims that another one of his friends, who works for Rockstar, neither confirmed nor denied the intel, which he believes is a telling sign since that friend apparently always shoots down information when it is false.
You can find a breakdown of the important points from the leak below, including the full list as it was published on Reddit.
1970s-80s setting with heavy 'Narcos' influence
According to the leaks, the next GTA story will take place in the 1970s-80s, primarily based in the iconic Vice City and a new fictional location based in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The game has apparently been influenced heavily by the popular Netflix show Narcos, which focuses on the cocaine empires of notorious drug kingpin Pablo Escobar and other major players in Central and South America.
The building of a drug empire will be mechanically similar to Vice City Stories, but on a much bigger scale, apparently 10 times the size of GTA Online.
The story will apparently be laid out in chapters, like Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption 2, so expect a different feel to it than in previous GTA games.
Main character is "drug lord wannabe"
Unlike GTA V, the next game will feature only one playable main character - a male "drug lord wannabe" named Ricardo, who's also been mentioned in previous GTA 6 leaks as well.
As Ricardo, players will start off a low-level cog smuggling cocaine, before new connections with powerful people open doors for much more lucrative opportunities.
As for other characters, one named Kacey will apparently play an important part of the narrative, along with a young version of GTA V's Martin Madrazo, for whom Ricardo will do some work that involves hits on other gangs.
A 1970s-80s GTA would be very different from what was initially expected. It would be a bold play from Rockstar Games as opposed to going with the tried and testing strategy of a modern day setting.
However, the leak does state that there will be eras in the game. This means Rockstar could incorporate the 1970s-80s era for say Vice City, continue into the 1990s for Liberty City and then possibly end up in Los Santos for the modern day - should another previous leak be believed.
The full list of leaked details can be found below, as it was posted on Reddit. Keep in mind that the game is still likely a while away from being released, meaning that some, or even most of the information below is subject to change.
I have two friends who are very reliable and have worked for places such as Kotaku and PC Gamer. They relayed this information to me. I also have a very dear friend who works for Rockstar, he won’t confirm the details, but he won’t deny them either. Normally, if something is not true, he’ll flat out deny, but here he just laughed and said “you know I can’t talk about that stuff bro” sooooooo :) I think we’re gold boys!
- The next GTA title has been in development since 2012 (1 year before GTA 5 launched). Production didn't actually pick up properly until mid 2015. Even then it was on ice while the teams focused on RDR2.
- It's another Rockstar Worldwide Production, not just one or two studios, but all.
- Codename is PROJECT AMERICAS.
- Set in both Vice City and a new fictional location based on Rio de Janeiro, with some linear missions taking place in Liberty City (not open world), think Ludendorff in GTAV. Also been recently hearing about Cuba but I ain’t sure?
- Game will balance realism and arcade. WON'T be as realistic as RDR2.
- One playable protagonist this time. Male, not female, despite supposed leaks.
- Set in 1970s-1980s.
- You play as an up and coming drug lord-wannabe named "Ricardo". Another key character called “Kacey” is a part of the narrative. You start off as a grunt doing runs as a cocaine smuggler from Vice City to the new large South American area before making connections with big time drug lords and making your way up. Multiple cities. There will also be a GIANT prison which will play a part in the game.
- Will feature a “CHAPTER” system similar to a Tarantino flick or RDR2.
- Weather is a heavy focus. Hurricanes, floods, etc.
- Buildings change over the eras, vehicles too. This causes headaches apparently but they managed to nail a pipeline and get it working. So older, rare classic cars get more expensive as time progresses etc. Full economy. Next level.
- HEAVILY inspired by Netflix's Narcos.
- They want to have an incredible 70s/80s soundtrack, but jury is still out on that one.
- A younger Martin Madrazo will make an appearance as will his father who is a big drug lord at the time. You do some missions for the Madrazo family involving hits on other gangs.
- Drug empire building is a mechanic similar to Vice City Stories but bigger. MUCH bigger. Think the GTAOnline system and dial it up to 10. There you have it.
- You can only have weapons on your person. No arsenal in your back pocket. Think RDR2 and Max Payne 3.
- Your personal vehicle (similar to GTA5 but can now change it) will be like your horse saddle in RDR2. All your equipment is stored in the trunk. Similar to LA Noire. You also store your body armour in the car. If you wear it, it appears, no longer just an invisible thing lol.
- There will be tons of subtitle reading. Think Max Payne 3 amounts. Because the characters speak the language they're native to. Very immersive. Like watching an episode of Narcos. Whenever you're in South America, don't expect to hear much English. Vice City however is a mix of everything. Mostly English though.
- Last bit of narrative info, it will discuss topics such as HIV and the immigration crisis of the time. A fictional version of Fidel Castro etc. Though I’ll be PISSED if our protagonist dies from AIDS or some shit like Arthur died of TB😂
- Next Gen only. Not PS4/XB1.
- Game is now their primary focus, alongside another title (which I believe to be Bully 2).
- Game is still in Pre-Alpha so names, locations, details could and probably will change.
- No ETA on a release date.
Have any questions, try asking. But I might not have the answers sadly.
UPDATE #1 - Added some additional information I forgot.
Last updated 07:08 ET, July 1, 2019