Call of Duty swatter officially sentenced to prison after fatal incident - Dexerto
General

Call of Duty swatter officially sentenced to prison after fatal incident

Published: 29/Mar/2019 20:26 Updated: 6/Aug/2019 16:24

by Eli Becht

Share


Tyler Barriss has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for ‘swatting’ a Kansas man that led to him being killed by police.

California resident Tyler Barriss, the man who has become known as the ‘Call of Duty swatter’, has formally been sentenced to 20 years in prison on Friday, March 29 according to the Associated Press.

The sentence stems from a 2017 ‘swatting’ incident that resulted in the death of a Kansas man. Barriss made a false emergency call to law enforcement in Wichita, Kansas claiming there had been a shooting and kidnapping at the address.

Police showed up the house and shot the unarmed man, Andrew Finch, who was not the intended target by Barriss as he unknowingly gave officers the wrong address.

Call of Duty: WWII.

Barriss plead guilted to 51 federal charges back in November while also admitting to making the phone calls that led to the death of 28-year-old Finch. 

On top of all that, he was indicted on additional charges in relation to other swattings, credit card fraud and bomb threat hoaxes he made to numerous schools and federal agencies, including the FBI offices.

The intended target of Barriss, 20-year-old Shane Gaskill, and the man who allegedly recruited Barriss, Casey Viner, were both charged as co-conspirators to the swatting.

Sledgehammer GamesA dispute during a Call of Duty: WWII match led to the death of an innocent man.

Everything happened over a match of Call of Duty: WWII gone wrong

Gaskill goes to trial April 23 after having it delayed amid plea talks with prosecutors. Viner initially pled not guilty to the crime but has informed the court he intends to change the plea at a hearing scheduled for Wednesday, April 3.

All of this stems from Call of Duty WWII wager matches in which the two players had a dispute over a $1.50 bet.

Finch’s family has sued the city of Wichita and the officers involved, who have not been identified. Police said the officer who shot Finch thought he was reaching for a gun because he moved a hand toward his waistband. Prosecutors for the case did not file any charges on the officer.

General

Police hunt for suspect after hoax hostage situation at Ubisoft Montreal

Published: 13/Nov/2020 19:45 Updated: 14/Nov/2020 0:37

by Theo Salaun

Share


Reports indicate that there is an ongoing hostage situation involving dozens of people at Ubisoft Montreal’s headquarters in the Mile-End neighborhood of Montreal, Quebec. There have been no confirmed injuries.

Update (7:35 p.m. ET): Ubisoft Montreal have released a statement regarding the hostage situation. “We are extremely relieved this was resolved without incident and we’d like to thank you all for your support and kind words.”

No injuries were reported at the offices. Montreal Police are launching a full investigation into the call.

Update (5:04 p.m. ET): All of the Ubisoft Montreal’s building occupants are being safely evacuated by Montreal’s police force and the police have joined local news in suggesting that the situation was, in fact, a hoax perpetrated by a call within the Ubisoft headquarters. No suspect has been identified or apprehended at this point, but the SPVM are actively investigating.

Update (4:04 p.m. ET): While local news outlets are reporting that the hostage situation was a hoax, Montreal’s police force have indeed confirmed that there appears to be no active threat and that the building’s occupants are being evacuated.

Update (3:33 p.m. ET): Little is known about the police force’s ongoing activity in attempts to enter the building, but CTV News reports that Ubisoft’s employees have been told, via company memo, to “hide in an area that locks and to keep quiet.”

Update (3:00 p.m. ET): Heavily armed Montreal police tactical units are approaching the building and preparing to make entry. Dozens of employees remain on roof and no injuries or negotiations with the suspects have been reported thus far.

Update (November 13, 2020 at 2:49 p.m. ET): Police appear to have barricaded off the daycare at Ubisoft Montreal’s headquarters, at least 50 employees have barricaded themselves atop the building’s roof, and tactical police units have blocked off surrounding streets and appear to be preparing to make entry. Current reports indicate that there have been no injuries thus far, according to local news on the scene.

With numerous reports and tweets from local news and Ubisoft Montreal employees, respectively, it appears that a hostage situation is unfolding at the company’s headquarters but that all employees are safe. 

In the afternoon, it was reported by Quebec’s TVA Nouvelles that dozens of hostages were being held at Ubisoft Montreal’s building on Saint Laurent Boulevard. This ongoing situation was echoed by Montreal’s police department, who put out public announcements to avoid the area due to the police’s efforts there.

Shortly after, numerous employees, including Programming Project Lead Gavin Young and a Production Marketer for Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla, tweeted that they were indeed safe and sound despite what was happening in the building.

Although ‘Valskuiken’ tweeted that they would be going home, it appears that a large conglomerate of employees have made their ways to the building’s roof and have barricaded themselves up there by blocking off the door to the exterior.

Further, reports from TVA Nouvelles indicate that a ransom request has been made by the suspects, but it is unclear what has come of it as police continue to operate in the vicinity.

At present, it appears that numerous employees are safe but it is unclear what is precisely happening with the situation given the multi-floor building’s space and large occupancy. At least 50 employees have made it to the roof, wherereports show they are holding up safely. However, in anticipation of the police force making entry into the building, it seems that ambulances and a tactical police force are arriving to the scene.

As reports indicate, the tactical forces approaching the building include numerous police officers, tactical police units, and heavier vehicles. There have been no indications of injuries thus far, so it appears that the ambulances are predominantly a precautionary measure.

We will be continuing to update this page with updates as they come in and as the Montreal police force and local news provide information to the public about the current circumstances.