The popular Saints Row franchise is getting a reboot in 2022, so here’s everything we know about the new game so far, from the release date to gameplay details, trailers, DLC plans, and information on character, weapon, and vehicle customization.
After almost two decades of sequels and expansions, the iconic open-world crime spree series Saints Row is being given a total reboot simply titled ‘Saints Row’, complete with reimagined characters, a new story, and an original location — Santo Ileso.
After starting out as a more outlandish rival to GTA, the Saints Row games evolved and started to become increasingly wacky, with everything from alien invasions to guns that fire live bees at enemies.
The 2022 reboot promises to be a more grounded experience that tones things down while still keeping the over-the-top action the franchise has become known for.
Below, we’ve rounded up all the information we know about the reboot so far, including the platforms it will be released on, all the pre-order bonuses, and what players can expect when they finally drop into Saints Row’s Santo Ileso.
- Saints Row reboot release date
- Saints Row customization features
- Gameplay details
- Pre-order bonuses
- Saints Row reboot DLC plans
The reboot of Saints Row is scheduled to release on August 23, 2022. During The Game Awards 2021, this release date was confirmed at the end of their latest gameplay trailer.
While an original release date was locked in for February 25, 2022, developers Volition announced a delay to provide extra time to “fine-tune” the experience so that it meets expectations.
On April 20, 2022, at 12 PM PT / 8 PM BST / 8 PM CEST, a customization showcase was shared on the Saints Row YouTube and Deep Silver Twitch channels, which was previously mentioned to show players “how to #BeYourOwnBoss”.
Giving you the option to craft your Boss exactly how you see fit – including everything from facial asymmetry down to unique skin colors, prosthetics, and even a physique slider, you’ll have a whole suite of options to fine-tune your character to fit your personal identity.
What’s more, you’re also able to take that customization to a whole new level with customizable weapons, vehicles, and even elements of The Saints’ HQ.
Below, we’ve listed all of the exciting features we noticed in the trailer:
- Plenty of hairstyles featuring different styles, textures, and lengths.
- 8 starting character presets which can be modified.
- Different head shapes with further sliders to modify your Boss’ appearance.
- Everything from asymmetrical facial features, brow color, muscle definition, and physique options to prosthetics, different skin types, tans, tattoos, scars, and customizable eye colors.
- Layered clothing (anyone for some socks?)
- 8 different voices and different emotes — including walk styles.
- Vehicle & weapon customization — change the color and even put weapons into a guitar case!
- ‘Signature abilities’ for vehicles such as a wrecking ball and ejector seats.
- ‘The Church‘ is your HQ, which can be customized and made your own.
We’ve embedded the YouTube video below for your convenience, so make sure to check it out and see what cool new customization features you can spot!
You can watch the official announcement trailer for the Saints Row reboot below:
The gameplay trailer for Saints Row, revealed during The Game Awards on December 9, 2021, showcased even more of what players can expect to get up to, giving insight into the kinds of mischief and mayhem they’ll be able to cause as The Boss.
With explosions, flipping cars, wingsuits, golf carts, and even a tank, the new trailer showcases the familiar high-octane style that fans of the series will recognize from earlier titles.
Here it is in all of its glory:
The Saints Row reboot is set for release on the following platforms:
- PlayStation 4 (PS4)
- PlayStation 5 (PS5)
- Xbox One
- Xbox Series X|S
It’s been confirmed that the PC release of the upcoming reboot will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store at launch, but as of yet, there hasn’t been any news about a potential Mac/OS release so far.
The Saints Row reboot will be set in Santo Ileso, a fictional city in the American Southwest. Within it, there are nine unique districts in the city to explore and take over, as well as a large desert area surrounding it.
Santo Ileso has been described by Volition as the “biggest and best playground” ever created in the series, so there will be plenty to discover as you travel around the city by car, motorcycle, or wingsuit.
The Saints Row reboot will focus on three new characters – Kevin, Neenah, and Eli – who create the Saints gang and launch a criminal empire in an attempt to pay off their student loan debt. You’ll play the fourth founding member, known as The Boss.
As you grow the Saints from scratch, you’ll fight for control of the three main districts run by rival gangs in Santo Ileso: Rancho Provedencia, which is Los Panteros territory; Lakeshore, controlled by Marshall; and Monte Vista, home to The Idols.
Volition has confirmed that the game will support co-op at any point and that every mission has been designed for co-op play, too. Friends can drop in and drop out whenever they want, with cross-generation multiplayer enabled.
We’ve also learned about a ton of leaked gameplay details from industry insider Tom Henderson. In an exclusive news piece, he revealed a ton of features we can expect in the Saints Row reboot.
- Flow: Players can earn points, that can be spent on using abilities, by demonstrating effective combat skills.
- Abilities: As you level up, you will earn and equip abilities – acquire Flow during combat to be able to use them.
- Perks: Gameplay modifiers that you can get by completing challenges and missions.
- Execution: Dealing damage, on foot or in a vehicle, will be the way to gain health in Saint Row.
- Fast Travel: Take a picture of a landmark and you’ll now be able to instantly travel to that spot from anywhere on the map.
- Collectibles & Dumpster Diving: Drug Piles will be the main source of obtainable goodies around Santo Ileso, plus, explore dumpsters to find useful items and resources to help your cause.
- Criminal Ventures: A returning feature in which players can take part in side activities to earn cash and unlock Perks and Abilities.
Anyone who pre-orders Saints Row, either digitally or physically, will get access to the Idols Anarchy Pack, a DLC set that contains the Idols DJ Helmet cosmetic, the Twinkle Bat weapon, and the Sandstorm Scrambler motorcycle.
Those who pre-order the Criminal Customs Edition (physical) or Gold Edition (digital) will also get the Saints Criminal Customs set. This comes with the Saints Custom Convertible car and Saints Custom Stab Jacket cosmetic.
Volition has also confirmed that if you pre-order any version of the game for digital download, you’ll get access to Saints Row The Third: Remastered for free.
It’s been confirmed by Volition that the new Saints Row reboot will feature three expansions available as post-launch DLC, which will contain additional episodes for the game.
No specific details about the expansions’ contents have been revealed, though, and we probably won’t find out what we can expect from them until closer to launch.
So, there you have it – that’s everything we know about Saints Row so far. Make sure to check back often, as we’ll update you with any new details right here.
For more information about all the latest upcoming games, take a look at our release hubs:
The Elder Scrolls 6 | GTA 6 | Overwatch 2 | Assassin’s Creed Infinity | God of War: Ragnarok | Wolverine | Spider-Man 2 | Forspoken | KOTR Remake | Wonder Woman | DokeV | FFXVI | Avatar Frontiers of Pandora | Sonic Frontiers