The highly anticipated v7.20 patch update went live in Fortnite Battle Royale on January 15 and it looks like it's one of the biggest since Season 7 started.
The update was expected to bring some highly anticipated changes, fixes, and new additions to the game's core modes, including things that the Fortnite community has been requesting for weeks and, in some cases, months.
Luckily for fans that were expecting a lot, the game's developers certainly delivered when the patch notes finally went live at and the downtime began.
So, what are the major talking points for the v7.20 patch?
The Scoped Revolver was announced via the in-game news section.
The Scoped Revolver was originally announced in the in-game news section of Fortnite and described as a "six-shot pistol that packs a punch and provides perfect accuracy at long range."
Now, it has officially been added to the game and comes with the following information:
- Available in Epic and Legendary variants.
- Fires Medium Ammo.
- 42 / 44 damage per shot.
- Available from floor loot, chests, Supply Drops, and Vending Machines.
Glider Redeploy is a game mechanic that various factions of the Fortnite have been locking horns over for months. Now it's back in the game but Epic Games already announced that it will work differently.
Now, you'll need to actually find a Glider in order to use the mechanic, as explained here:
Added Gliders, an item that grants Glider redeploy.
- This item takes up an inventory slot and can be found from normal loot sources.
- Gliders do not need to be selected to deploy. Activate them by pressing your jump button while in mid-air.
- Rarity is Rare.
- Gliders come with 10 charges.
- Each deploy uses a charge. When all charges are used the item disappears.
- Glider redeploy does not consume a charge when using a Launch Pad, Rifts-to-Go, or respawning in a Limited Time Mode.
- Found from floor loot, chests, Vending Machines, and Supply Llamas.
Glider Redeploy is BACK, but only if you're willing to give up an item slot.
One Shot LTM
The One Shot LTM is now available to play and comes with the following explanation: "There’s low gravity and every player has 50 health. Snipers are the only weapon and Bandages the only healing item. Jump high and aim well!"
Below you can find all of the notes and information for the Limited Time Mode:
- Gravity is set lower than normal.
- The Storm wait time has been greatly reduced in all phases of the game.
- The only weapons in this mode are Hunting Rifles and Sniper Rifles.
- Semi-auto Snipers and Bounce Pads have been removed from the Vault in this mode.
- Players will spawn with 50 health and can only heal if they find Bandages.
Prior to the release of the official notes, Epic Games gave us a preview of some major bug fixes and quality of live improvements that would be coming in the v7.20 patch:
- The bug causing certain shots to not register, or "ghost," after quickly switching from the building interface has been confirmed to be fixed - More Info
- Mounted Turrets will now display golden hit-markers when shot at instead of white ones, which is currently being caused by a bug - More Info
- Glider redeploy issue with the X-4 Stormwing planes has been fixed.
- Bugs causing issues with Ziplines will be fixed and the issues resolved.
You can find out more details about these fixes in the full patch notes at the bottom of this article.
New wall building mechanic
Walls built on uneven surfaces or water will no longer be mostly submerged underground and will now feature an additional wall on top as previously announced. Players will not be penalized with expending any extra resources.
More information on the new mechanic can be found below.
The new building fix will put an end to one of the most infuriating issues in Fortnite.
The remaining Fortnite Battle Royale patch notes for the January 15 v7.20 patch are as follows:
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- Minigun adjustments
- Added an overheating mechanic. Overheat occurs after approximately 6 seconds of continuous fire.
- Reduced the wind-up time by 37%.
- Updated the audio for the Minigun.
- Rarity color adjustments
- Balloons changed from Epic to Rare.
- Stink Bomb changed from Epic to Rare.
- Scoped AR decreased from Rare/Epic to Uncommon/Rare.
- The following projectile-based weapons now have the same projectile trajectory as the Heavy Sniper Rifle:
- Bolt Action Sniper Rifle
- Suppressed Sniper Rifle
- Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle
- Hunting Rifle
- Weapon first-shot accuracy now works with icy feet and while on ziplines.
- The reticle center dot on Scoped Rifles has been reduced in size. This will mitigate situations where it appears you’re on your target but still miss the shot.
- Trap drop chance adjustments
- Total drop chance of Traps from floor loot increased from 3.98% to 4.73%.
- Cozy Campfire
- Drop chance from floor loot increased from 0.26% to 0.73%.
- Drop chance from Loot Llamas increased from 6.63% to 15.47%.
- Launch Pad
- Drop chance from floor loot increased from 0.53% to 0.98%.
- Drop chance from Loot Llamas increased from 13.25% to 20.77%.
- Mounted Turret
- Drop chance from floor loot decreased from 0.8% to 0.73%.
- Drop chance from Loot Llamas decreased from 20.42% to 15.47%.
- Small shields max stack size has been decreased from 10 to 6.
- Fixed a bug that could cause you to lose the ability to switch weapons if firing a Grappler while crashing a vehicle or interacting with an object during travel.
- Fixed a bug where your ability to fire would be delayed after discarding a Grappler.
- Removed the ability to ride or be pushed by a Grappler due to the ability for players to move fast enough to cause network issues.
- Fixed Balloons not being popped by explosions.
- Fixed issue causing odd dynamite size/scaling when picking it up and re-throwing.
- When a player dies from Down-But-Not-Out bleed-out damage, the elimination distance is calculated from the original down location rather than the distance when they are fully eliminated.
- Fixed an issue that could cause Scoped Rifles to have full accuracy earlier than intended.
- Fixed an issue where the center dot of the reticle while scoped did not line up with the center dot while unscoped.
- Fixed dynamite re-throw ability from being canceled by changing weapons or being a vehicle passenger.
- Players will no longer receive credit for a “No Scope” in the elimination feed if they use a scope to eliminate a player.
- Zipline improvements
- Added the ability to change direction via player movement input button. Just move in the direction you’d like to go while riding a zipline, no jumping required.
- Rather than moving at max speed as soon as entering the zipline, players will now accelerate over time to reach that max speed.
- Destruction effects have been turned back on while riding a zipline.
- Players will destroy the nearby player buildings before attaching to the zipline so their path becomes clear
- Added a third decimal place for mouse/controller sensitivity to allow for more granular values.
- To help with situations where walls are built mostly underground, we've added functionality where an extra piece will be built for free on top of that piece.
- This occurs when the wall piece is showing less than 30% above ground.
- Gamepad Sensitivity
- Building sensitivity change also applies to edit mode.
- Editing will no longer interrupt gun fire and pickaxe swings.
- Corn stalks will no longer block gunfire.
- Editing a structure will now begin without waiting for a response from the server. This should cut down on ghost shots before editing and make it a smoother experience.
- Confirming the edit will still require sending data to the server and be impacted by high ping or poor server performance.
- Vehicle impact damage to a player will now respect shields instead of directly applying to player health.
- When a plane explodes due to any reason, it will now deal damage to both passengers and pilots. This damage no longer ignores shields.
- Infinite dab is even more infinite...Dab for 11 hours instead of 10 hours in the lobby.
- Adjusted map art to more accurately represent player & marker positions.
- Textures of props used in emotes are now pre-streamed so scorecard and other emotes that use props will have less chance of using a low-resolution texture.
- X-4 Stormwing passengers now have the same Hold to Exit functionality as pilots.
- Fixed instances of glider redeploy not deploying when exiting a Stormwing.
- Fixed grenade throw animations not playing the follow-through when watching other players throw a grenade.
- Fixed the preview length on many emotes in the lobby to hear the full music track.
- Completing the "Play a match with a friend" Daily Challenge now correctly counts towards other quests that require completing daily challenges.
- Fixed players not being able to destroy the Boombox from certain distances.
- Fixed some issues with ziplines
- Players will no longer be flung across the map or get in broken animation states.
- A cooldown has been added to ensure jump spamming will not allow players with mild network issues to fall through the zipline collision.
- The zipline magnet will no longer remain over players heads.
- Players no longer fall when colliding with enemy structures.
- Players no longer dismount ziplines at steep angles when under bad network conditions.
- Fixed an issue where players would sometimes take 2 instances of impact damage from getting hit by the X-4 Stormwing.
- Damage numbers when shooting Mounted Turrets now properly displays as vehicle damage instead of player damage.
- Players who are emoting on the starter island will no longer continue emoting after jumping from the Battle Bus.
- Gliders and Umbrellas will no longer appear sideways or misaligned when dropping from the Battle Bus.
- Tournament systems have been significantly updated to support upcoming features. We’ll be operating a series of small scale test events as we test these updates with more players.
- We will be testing in waves until we are confident in the new functionality. At that point, we will again begin running tournaments regularly for all players.
- Older tournaments will be removed from the Events tab on Switch & mobile devices for the time being.
- Data for those tournaments has been saved and will return to those platforms in a future release.
- Players will be automatically removed fthe rom match after 60 seconds of spectating after being eliminated.
- Fixed shield damage sound playing when shooting or getting hit by teammates.
- Gliders that have music can now play their music in the lobby for previewing.
- Reduced the volume of the X-4 Stormwing.
- Reduce the volume of the Boombox.
- Added unique bouncing sound to Dynamite.
- Fixed music cutting out on mobile/Switch platforms.
- Fixed incorrect boost audio loop for Quad Crasher on mobile/Switch.
- Fixed missing medium-distant Scoped AR gunshot sounds.
- Fixed loud winter biome ambient audio on mobile/Switch.
- Updated the ammo icons in the inventory to look more realistic.
- Building resources of spectated players are now visible.
- Prevent pickup HUD interaction prompts from appearing while in a vehicle, since picking up is disabled while in a vehicle.
- Fixed error displays when a friend request fails.
- Prevented special preview actions (Play Again, Switch Model, Full Screen, etc…, shown when viewing a cosmetic item) from disappearing after opening and closing the chat window.
- Fixed a red background showing up when the chat window is opened while doing a 'Full Screen' preview of a Loading Screen cosmetic.
- Prevented unrelated loading screens from sometimes showing up instead of the selected Loading Screen while doing a 'Full Screen' preview.
- Battle Royale players can now accept party invites from players in Save The World and join games in progress.
ART + ANIMATION
- Both Lynx and Zenith now have custom idle poses in the lobby.
- The size of the Red Knight shield and Raven Back Bling from the Frozen Bundle now matches their original versions.
- Fixed a bug that was preventing the Deadfire Outfit from being reactive in game.
- Improved quality of the Golf Clap emote on mobile and Switch.
- Fixed a few replay loading issues that could cause a loading screen to appear when it was not necessary for one to be displayed.
- Fixed a bug causing users to aim-down-sights when exiting vehicles.
- Fixed turbo building while holding extra build buttons.
- Fixed an issue where the Add Friend button for other party members in the Main Menu was not able to be clicked on mobile devices.
- Added HUD button
- This HUD button shows when you enter the in-game settings as a separate section to turn on/off certain HUD aspects.
A brand new arctic island debuts in Creative! Bundle up, drop in, and bring your vision to life.
Roll up your sleeves and build your dream home in the country with the new Farmstead themed Prefabs.
- Frosty Fortress
- A new selectable arctic island with structures already placed on it.
- This island is ready for games to be played right away!
- Preview images of islands are now displayed on top of Featured Islands in the Creative Hub.
- Fixed an issue which caused island portals to not appear when those islands contained many copies of certain types of building tiles or props.
- Fixed an issue where players were able to exit their Island with the Phone tool by being inside Prefab structures.
- Fixed an issue where players could take items out of an island to the Creative Hub.
- Fixed an issue where Traps would remain floating in the air after the supporting wall was removed.
- Added a new “Last Standing” option to allow creators to specify whether they want the game to end when there is only one player or team remaining.
- Added a new “Spawns” option to allow players to specify how many times a player can spawn.
- Added a new “Player Flight” option to allow flight during games or when the Phone is unavailable.
- Added a new “Jump Fatigue” option for enabling/disabling jump height penalties that would normally get applied on rapid successive jumps.
- Added new Gravity Options.
- When Traps are equipped from the Creative Inventory, the new Trap will become selected on your quick bar.
- Fixed players blocked from loading into Creative with a network error.
- The first timing loading may take extra time while the server fixes the load issues with the player's island.
- Fixed vehicles causing damage to structures when the world was indestructible or when players did not have permission to edit.
- Fixed building animations becoming stuck when being moved with the Phone mid-animation.
- Fixed an issue where player placed walls would show health bars more often than intended.
- Fixed an issue where tiles would appear red during games.
- Fixed an issue where multiple camera fades would occur on game start and game end.
CREATIVE TOOLS + PHONE
- Added Turbo Building to Creative
- You can now hold down the “Place” button to continuously add building tiles and props as you move and aim.
- This feature requires “Turbo Building” to be enabled in your Game settings.
- Added Turbo Delete
- Holding down the Delete button will now continuously destroy building tiles and props.
- Added a new “Turbo Delete In Creative Mode” option to Game settings. This is enabled by default.
- Added a new effect when utilizing Grid Snap to help visualize placement.
- Fixed the Phone being able to edit or delete objects even when island edit permissions were not granted.
- Fixed an issue where other walls could vanish when copying a wall using the Phone.
- Fixed an issue with the Phone remaining available after a player leaves the island while inside a recently-placed prefab.
- Fixed an issue where the “Drops” UI was not displaying the proper value,
- Fixed an issue where the Phone hologram could get stuck at a spot in the world after pasting a prop, with drops enabled.
- Fixed an issue where after rotating certain walls while moving on Grid, those walls would not trigger as being allowed to have traps placed on them.
- Added 6 Farmstead prefabs and Farmstead Galleries
- Added 3 Ice Cliff Galleries
- Added Large Cube Gallery
- Added Random Spawn options on the Item Spawner:
- "Random" allows items to spawn in a random order from the spawn list.
- "No Repeats" spawns items in a random order and will not repeat an item until everything in the list has spawned once. This only differs from "Random" if "Items Respawn" option is set to “On”.
- Renamed the “Gunner” Device to “Sentry”.
- Added new Options to the Sentry.
- Added health and shield options.
- Added respawn options.
- Added accuracy and attack range options.
- Added target style, line of sight, and proximity options.
- Added adaptive aim option to determine whether or not the Sentry’s aim improves over time.
- Added attack range visualization when players stand on the Sentry plate.
- New Elimination Zone Device.
- Allows the player to place an adjustable zone that will eliminate players if they come in contact with it during a game.
- Item Spawner now includes additional ammunition to weapons spawned.
- Fixed an issue where Traps wouldn’t be destroyed properly or trigger correctly.
- Fixed an issue where parts of metal and wood floors would clip through the Item Spawner.
- Item Spawner Fixes.
- Fixed an issue where some items in the Item Spawner wouldn't display all of their materials in the preview cycle.
- Fixed items not getting added to Item Spawner if they are added in rapid succession.
- Fixed incorrect visual effects appearing on Item Spawners in-game.
- Fixed an issue with the Item Spawner that resulted in all items in the spawner being the same rarity color after a game finished or the island is loaded.
- Fixed an issue where some Item Spawner item holograms had jittery movement when near them.
- Fixed an issue causing Player Start devices to float after a mini-game finishes.
- Player Spawner Fixes.
- Fixed graphical problems with the Player Spawner team assignment display on Android platforms.
- Fixed players respawning in the Creative Hub when Player Spawner location is blocked.
- Fixed players occasionally getting stuck in skydive when respawning on Player Spawner.
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- Added Dual Pistols
- Available in Rare and Epic variants.
- 41-43 base damage.
- Uses Medium Ammo.
- Shoots both pistols with one pull of the trigger.
- Does not use first shot accuracy.
- Added Gliders, an item that grants Glider redeploy.
- Fixed not being able to build on opposing team’s structures while editing a creative island. However, this is still not allowed while a game in progress.
- Added a message to the HUD that displays how to start the match on an island when on a shared or featured island.
- Fixed "Memory Used" label not being centered over the memory budget indicator.
- Fixed the Creative Inventory displaying Prefabs in some cases, even when edit permission was not available.
- Reduced the time it takes to load into Creative and to switch between islands. Further improvements will be coming in future updates.
- Improved performance for minigame spawners.
- Improved performance and memory usage by culling more objects that are very far away from the player
- Fixed hitches when displaying tooltip text.
- Fixed creative button visibility while in vehicles.
As always, make sure to follow us @Dexerto and keep an eye on the Dexerto Fortnite page where we will bring a full breakdown of all changes, new items and more.