The highly anticipated remake of Final Fantasy VII is set to release soon, and we've got everything you need to know about the game.
First released in 1997 on the original PlayStation, Final Fantasy 7 is still considered to be one of the best games in the long-running Japanese RPG series.
FF7's amazing soundtrack and wonderful story mean it's still cherished by fans to this day, but developers Square Enix will be bringing it up to date for PS4 with stunning new visuals.
If you didn't know already, FF7 Remake will be released in several parts, basically like episodes, rather than as one single massive game.
Original director and remake producer Yoshinori Kitase explained in the Square Enix blog that this was a necessary step to ensure that they could put out a gaming experience of the highest quality.
“In order to make [the entire game as a single release] work as a modern game, we wouldn’t be able to go for the highest visual quality and we’d also have to cut back on areas and scenes from the original,” he said. “Essentially, to make a single release viable the resulting game would have ended up being a digest of the original story, and we didn’t think that fans would be pleased with that.”
When does Final Fantasy 7 Remake part one release?
The first chapter of this FF7 Remake will be released on Friday, April 10, 2020, after Square Enix announced that their initial planned date of March 3 would be pushed back.
The game will first be only made available for the PlayStation 4, and this exclusivity period will last for a whole year before users of other platforms can start playing it in 2021.
There are three versions that can currently be pre-ordered: Standard Edition ($59.99), Deluxe Edition ($79.99), and 1st Class Edition ($329.99). The first two will be available as both digital and physical copies, while the 1st Class is only physical because it includes a Steelbook case, concept art book, mini-soundtrack CD, and more.
On March 18, Square Enix announced that, due to the current ongoing global issues, there could be some delays in terms of getting physical copies to players. The digital version of the game will still be released on April 10 as scheduled.
"The worldwide release of Final Fantasy VII Remake on April 10 will go ahead," they wrote. "However, with unforeseeable changes in distribution and retail landscape which varies across countries, it is increasingly likely that some of you will not get hold of your copy of the game on the release date."
— FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE (@finalfantasyvii) March 18, 2020
Final Fantasy 7 Remake story and characters
Fans of the original game will be looking forward to reacquainting themselves with characters like the iconic mercenary Cloud Strife as well as the eco-terrorist group AVALANCHE.
Together they will be taking on the tyrannical mega-corporation Shinra Electric Power Company, with their first mission being to destroy the Mako Reactor 1 in the city of Midgar.
15 characters are listed on the official Square Enix website:
- Cloud Strife – An ex-SOLDIER: first class, Cloud came to Midgar to start a new chapter of his life as a mercenary. At the invitation of his childhood friend, Tifa, he accepted a job with Avalanche. He may bring his buster sword to bear against Shinra troopers, but he does not care for plight of the planet. For him, this is a job and nothing more.
- Aerith Gainsborough – Aerith is a flower seller living in the Sector 5 slums, who first meets Cloud on the streets of Midgar after the bombing of Mako Reactor 1. Shinra has kept a close eye on her ever since she was a child, as she has the ability to hear the voice of the planet. She is often found tending a modest bed of flowers at an old church in Sector 5.
- Tife Lockhart – A loyal member of Avalanche – an underground organization opposed to Shinra – Tifa also runs Seventh Heaven, a popular bar in the Sector 7 slums. Although she bears a terrible grudge towards Shinra, she is not convinced that bombing mako reactors is the solution. As she struggled to reconcile her cause with her conscience, Tifa was reunited with her childhood friend, Cloud, for the first time in years.
- Barret Wallace – The leader of an independent Avalanche cell in Midgar, Barret was disavowed by the old guard for his extreme methods that attracted too much attention. He subsequently came to Midgar, where he resolved to continue to pursue his vendetta against Shinra with a small but trusted group of followers. When not fighting against the corporation, he and his comrades serve in the neighborhood watch and keep the people safe – including his daughter Marlene, whom he dotes on as a loving father.
- Red XIII – Red XIII is a beast with a flaming tail, crimson fur, deadly claws, and the ability to speak. At present, he is being held in capitivity as a test subject for Professor Hojo.
- Jessie – A member of the anti-Shinra resistance group Avalanche. In charge of procurement, Jesse obtains all the material needed for the group’s operations, from explosives to fake IDs. Skilled at tinkering with machines, she also earns operating funds by repairing water filtration units and other devices to sell on. A caring sort with a weakness for handsome men.
- Wedge – A member of the anti-Shinra resistance group Avalanche. Wedge is tasked with gathering information and placating rival groups using his impressive list of contacts and personal charm. He also plays the vital role of testing new menu items at Seventh Heaven. The mood maker who eases tensions between the other members, he is a vital part of the team.
- Biggs – A member of the anti-Shinra resistance group Avalanche. With Barret being prone to volatility, Biggs always follows through calmly. Neat and tidy by nature, his favorite things are cleaning and showers.
- Sephiroth – A former SOLDIER who distinguished himself as a hero in the war against Wutai. His accomplishments on the battlefield are so legendary that they inspired countless people to join the military. Official reports state that he died while on a classified mission, though details of the incident are almost nonexistent.
- Reno – A member of the Turks, a special task force within Shinra's General Affairs Division. Reno stands out due to his fiery-red hair, sardonic grin, and cavalier attitude. Using lightning-quick movements and a specially outfitted truncheon, he toys with his opponents as he unleashes a myriad of attacks.
- Rude – A member of the Turks, a special task force within Shinra's General Affairs Division. Rude is an intimidating presence with his shaved head, sunglasses, and massive frame. He speaks only when absolutely necessary and prefers to use his bare fists and physical prowess to subdue his enemies.
- President Shinra – Current president of the Shinra Electric Power Company, he single-handedly raised the company up from a small arms manufacturer to the massive conglomerate it is today. He employs cut-throat business tactics to secure profits, going so far as to eliminate any who oppose him. However, he's open-handed to those lucky enough to be in his good graces.
- Heidegger – The director of Public Security, this former commanding officer has been President Shinra's right-hand man since the early days of the company. The president trusts him implicitly, which has made Public Security the most powerful division within Shinra. Like the president, Heidegger is ruthless, and will not hesitate to sacrifice others to get what he wants.
- Roche – A 3-C SOLDIER operator who loves bikes, speed, and anyone capable of going toe-to-toe with him. A demon on wheels, he is ostracized by many in the organization due to his antics and general disregard for anyone's safety.
- Professor Hojo - Director of Shinra Electric Power Company’s Research and Development Division. He develops various biological weapons, without a care for ethics or morals. If it’s for the sake of his work, he won’t hesitate to take a human life for his experiments. In his previous collaborative research work he performed special surgery on soldiers, increasing their physical power and succeeded in giving birth to SOLDIERs.
FF7 Remake will feature some pretty advanced mechanics, including a battle system that will be "a mix of traditional command-based Final Fantasy combat and real-time action, giving you the power to choose how you play."
- Tactical Mode – When accessing your commands menu in battle, time slows down dramatically, giving you the freedom to develop and carry out a plan of attack. Take this opportunity to use your ATB charges to employ a variety of abilities, magic, items, and limit breaks. Adapt to the strengths and weaknesses of your enemies, and take control of the tide of battle.
- Shortcuts – Commands can be mapped to button shortcuts, enabling you to execute them in battle instantly, without having to access your commands menu. Employ your favorite abilities quickly and effortlessly so you can stay in the thick of the action.
- Stagger – As an enemy sustains damage during battle, the focus gauge below their HP bar will gradually fill up. When this bar is maxed out, the enemy will become staggered for a short time. During this period, it will not only be unable to act, but it will also receive additional damage when attacked.
- Ally Commands – You can take full control of other party members during battle with the press of a button, and you can also instruct them to carry out certain actions by using the L2/R2 buttons to access their command menus in Tactical Mode.
- Limit Breaks – As you take damage over the course of a battle, your limit gauge will gradually fill, eventually enabling you to execute powerful abilities unique to each character.
- Materia – By attaching materia to your weapons and armor, you can gain new abilities and customize your characters further. Countless types exist, from those that bestow magical spells to versatile actions, as well as some which enable you to summon powerful beings to aid you in battle. Moreover, some items have linked materia slots, which allow certain materia to interact with each other and produce unique and surprising effects.
- Summons – When equipped, summoning materia adds an additional gauge that, when filled, grants you the ability to call forth otherworldly entities to fight alongside you for a limited time. These summoned beings possess a will of their own and will engage enemies independently, culminating in a devastating attack they execute before departing the battlefield.
How to play Final Fantasy 7 Remake demo
Square Enix have released a demo for FF7 ahead of its full release, and it's the iconic Mako Reactor 1 bombing mission, during which Cloud Strife gets introduced as a mercenary for AVALANCHE.
The demo, which is 7.55 GB in size, can be downloaded from the PlayStation Store and is the perfect way to familiarize yourself with the mechanics before purchasing the full game.
In addition, three PS4 dynamic themes will also be released for the game. The first is a free one that's available starting on April 10 to those who download the demo before May 11.
Today we're giving you a closer look at three dynamic #PS4 #FinalFantasy VII Remake themes!
These aren't the only themes available, and we'll be posting more over the coming weeks.
First is a free theme available from April 10th if you download the #FF7R demo before May 11th! pic.twitter.com/0LC89hwNRW
— FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE (@finalfantasyvii) March 13, 2020
The second, which focuses on the city of Midgar, will be available for free to everyone who has an active PlayStation Plus subscription.
— FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE (@finalfantasyvii) March 13, 2020
The third, a Sephiroth theme, comes as a bonus to those who pre-order FF7 Remake from Amazon in the US and "various retailers throughout Europe.
We've shown off two dynamic #PS4 themes today and here's a third. This Sephiroth theme is available as a pre-order bonus with https://t.co/ThA10iWA8z in the US, and at various retailers throughout Europe.
— FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE (@finalfantasyvii) March 13, 2020
That wraps up pretty much everything there is to know about the upcoming release of Final Fantasy VII Remake! As always, we will continue to bring you the latest details, news, and updates as more information becomes available.