Smash pro explains why he raged and punched wall at tournament - Dexerto
Esports

Smash pro explains why he raged and punched wall at tournament

Published: 12/Sep/2019 16:10 Updated: 12/Sep/2019 21:31

by Michael Gwilliam

Share


Super Smash Bros Ultimate pro Matt ‘Elegant’ Fitzpatrick could be facing a suspension following an outburst after a loss at Wednesday Night Fights on September 11. 

UPDATE – September 12 at 2:28 PM

In a series of tweets, Elegant has apologized for what happened and said he has never felt so ashamed.  He revealed that after losing everything in a robbery it reached a boiling point. A GoFundMe has been started for his family.

Original story follows…


Elegant, who is considered to be the best Luigi player in the world, was facing off against Jesus ‘MastaMario’ Fragoza in the Winners Semis side of the bracket. The best of five series went the distance with a single hit being the difference between a victory and a defeat. 

While Elegant tried, Luigi yet again played second fiddle to Mario with MastaMario emerging triumphant with a 3-2 match win.

A clear distraught Elegant showed no ill will towards his opponent and shook his hand, but immediately marched away from the stream. At 18:37 of the video above you see the end of the match and its aftermath with the Luigi main looking upset.

Moments later, the 2GG Gaming broadcast showed a dent in the wall at the eSports Arena. “As you can see there, a bit of a dent in the wall,” the commentator duo described. “I wasn’t going to bring it up… this was just what happened here.”

It would also seem that it wasn’t just losing the match that set the Smash prodigy off.

Elegant’s mom posted on Twitter to say that a moving van with everything they own had been stolen. She wrote that the family had been staying in a hotel because their new home “fell through”. 

If this is true, then it’s obvious that Elegant had other things on his mind than just the match he lost and could have had emotions boiling over.

After the incident, the pro disqualified himself from the rest of the tournament.

2GG co-founder Jmex told Dexerto there will be internal discussions regarding the incident in order to decide what actions to take. As of this posting, however, Elegant has not yet been suspended.

Once a decision has been made, a statement will be released.

Something new from Dexerto: Episode 2 of Hungrybox – A Smash God Documentary

Call of Duty

World Champion John nearing return to professional Call of Duty

Published: 22/Oct/2020 23:42 Updated: 22/Oct/2020 23:59

by Theo Salaun

Share


After eons of silence, Johnathan ‘John’ Perez is updating fans on his status as a competitive Call of Duty player and suggesting that he is nearing a highly anticipated return to the scene.

One of competitive Call of Duty’s greatest mysteries appears to be unfolding into its next chapter, as John has finally spoken up and let fans, and competitors, know that his return is nigh. 

A former Call of Duty world champion and MVP, John surreptitiously vanished from the competitive circuit with rumors that he was banned from participating in the inaugural Call of Duty League season.

Although those rumors couldn’t specify why he was banned or for how long he would be (some saying one year, some saying indefinitely), it appears that John is making headway on his highly anticipated return. In a tweet that has sent the CoD community into an uproar, he explained that he will be coming back, but only once he is entirely healthy and distraction-free.

A 2016 World Champion and MVP while playing with Team Envy, John has been widely considered a premier SMG player in Call of Duty. Absent from the inaugural CDL season, he nonetheless made one appearance at a local LAN — taking first place at AGN Charlotte with Total Advantage.

Following some highly contested rumors that he was on the New York Subliners’ radar for 2020 rostermania, John’s tweet is the first true indication that he will be making a CDL debut. 

He explained his current progress, along with two pictures, to share his status update with, and encourage patience from, his fans: “I’m close to getting my mind and health perfect with the help of my second home…trust the process.”

In the pictures, it appears that John is prioritizing his health over everything before returning to high-level CoD competition. One image shows a sports therapy room with what appears to be an OxyHealth hyperbaric chamber, typically used to stimulate oxygen flow. Another shows him looking into a office as a doctor monitors an Eclipse eVive pulse wave therapy device, typically used to repair and stimulate growth of red blood cells.

None of that really matters, as the specific health and distractions affecting John have been, and will continue to be, up to his own discretion to disclose. What matters is that one of Call of Duty’s biggest stars appears nearly ready to make his return.

Following the early rumors that he was banned from the professional circuit, this is exciting news. Among teams that have the roster space to sign the former SMG superstar, the Subliners remain the most intriguing. Further, the London Royal Ravens, Paris Legion, and Florida Mutineers all have undecided starting spots available, while numerous other rosters have substitute spots unoccupied.

Among fellow competitors, peers like the New York Subliners’ James ‘Clayster’ Eubanks and OpTic Gaming’s Jordan ‘JKap’ Kaplan have already expressed excitement over this focus on a return.

As for when John might be making his CDL debut, no one knows when it will be or which team it will be with. But he’s reminded us all that when he’s back, he’ll be at his best: “Just know that when I’m 100 percent ready, I’ll be coming back with none of the health issues or distractions that I was lowkey playing with before.”