If you’ve ever seen an Instagram story from a friend or celebrity you want to share with others, there are a couple of different ways you may be able to achieve this. Here’s what you need to know.
Despite the increasing popularity of sites like TikTok, Instagram remains one of the most used social media platforms out there. People love sharing photos and videos with their friends through the app, and keeping up to date with the lives of celebrities and influencers.
Stories are one of the main ways people post content on the app, and consist of photos or videos that disappear within 24 hours of being posted.
If you’ve seen someone else’s story on that app and you want to share it for whatever reason, there are a few ways that you can do this.
How to share someone else’s Instagram story
Share to your own story
If another user has tagged you in their Instagram story, you will have the option to share it to your own story. This is great for sharing pictures of yourself and others, along with a variety of other things on your own story.
To do so, follow these instructions:
- Open Instagram.
- Go to the messages tab by clicking the paper airplane icon.
- Tap on the person whose story you want to share, and if you have been tagged, you should have received a message that reads, “Mentioned you in their story.”
- Tap ‘Add to your story,’ and follow the on-screen instructions to share it to your own story.
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to use this method if you have not been tagged.
Screenshot the story post
If you haven’t been mentioned in a post but still want to share it, you can always screenshot it using your phone, and then re-upload the image to your story.
- Read More: How to send a DM on Instagram
To upload a picture from your camera roll:
- Click on ‘Your story.’
- Scroll through your images to find the one you want, then tap it to select it.
- Edit the picture to your liking, add any tags you want to add, then post to your story as normal.
This method will mean that your followers can’t click on the story to navigate to the original post, but it’s one option for sharing something if you haven’t been tagged.
Share using the link
If don’t want to share the story post to your own story, you can always just send the link to a friend so that they’re able to check out the post for themselves.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to the story you want to share.
- Click the three dots in the top right.
- Tap ‘Copy link.’
- Paste the link into a message to a friend, and they will also be able to view the story as long as they click it before it expires.
Alternatively, you can click the paper airplane button and send it to someone directly via Instagram.
Each of these different options will depend on the privacy settings of the person whose story you are trying to share.
If you want to know more about how to use Instagram, you can check out our other guides here:
How to link your Instagram account to TikTok | How to see your first-liked Instagram post | How to switch Instagram feed to chronological order | How to re-share a post to your Story on Instagram | How to make money on Instagram | How to hide likes on Instagram