Black Ops 4 developer Treyarch has responded to the recent findings that showed sub par server performance.
In a post on reddit that covered the October 21 update, Treyarch responded directly to the reports of Black Ops 4's servers running at 20Hz.
Their comment is below:
We've also noticed a lot of discussion around network performance over the past couple of days and wanted to take a moment to address this directly. We’re constantly working to optimize the game, and particularly network performance, to ensure the highest quality online experience for our players. For a game launch with as massive a population as ours hitting so many global servers at once, we configure our infrastructure to ensure game stability as the highest priority over all other factors.
Now that we’re past the initial launch of the game, we are focusing on fine-tuning network performance around the globe, using the real-world data that we have collected. Over the course of the next two weeks, we will roll out several updates to our network setup that will continue to improve upon the experience of our players since launch. As we have always said, launch is just the beginning, and we’re committed to making Black Ops 4 the best-supported game we’ve ever delivered. This is a journey that will involve constant adjustments, improvements, and additions. We appreciate your continued support and patience – thank you!
The comment confirms suspicions that the massive player base at launch of Black Ops 4 (and the new Blackout mode) was a little too much for the game to handle at 60Hz servers.
Hopefully, server performance will be restored once the launch period kinks are worked out.
The rest of the October 21 update is below.
Today, we’ve made a minor update to the game that includes stability improvements across all modes, including fixes for some particular crashes in Zombies. We’re also investigating specific bugs and other issues raised by the Zombies community and will follow up in the coming days.
We’ve made the following updates to the game (Global):
- Addressed a crash at the end of matches for Master Prestige players in Multiplayer and Zombies. We’re planning further improvements for related UI issues in a future update.
- General stability improvements across all modes.
- Addressed a crash when crafting the Shield with Frugal Fetish equipped.
- Various stability fixes across all maps.
- Blood of the Dead
- Addressed an issue with the Shield not displaying the correct updated version for the player.
- Addressed a crash when turning on the power in a Custom Mutations match.
- Stash Looting
- Addressed an issue where players had to scroll right or left on the d-pad multiple times to navigate through Stash lists.
- Circle Collapse
- Addressed an issue where the Collapse circle would sometimes appear invisible to players.
- Stash Looting
- Addressed an issue that highlighted the wrong score on the scoreboard if the scoreboard was opened immediately after death.
- Jumping while sprinting with Ruin now performs the same as with all other Specialists.