Activision and Infinity Ward have finally released the Season 4 update for Modern Warfare on PC, Xbox One, and PS4, introducing two new weapons, three maps and a brand-new Battle Pass for players to sink their teeth into.
There's been a lot of anticipation for Modern Warfare Season 4, especially after the seasonal update was delayed by a week, but on Thursday, June 11, fans of the legendary FPS series finally got their hands on the new season, and it comes stacked with new items and challenges.
As always, new guns are the biggest additions to this update, with a new SMG and a fresh Assault Rifle both introduced, giving you two new options in combat whether you're playing the game's multiplayer mode, or searching for victories in Verdansk while playing Warzone.
What's new in Season 4?
New maps: Scrapyard, Trench, Barakett Promenade
Of the new maps introduced at the beginning of the season, some will feel familiar to hardcore players. Modern Warfare 2’s Scrapyard is returning as a proper multiplayer map after being featured in Warzone, and teased in the original Season 4 announcement trailer. This comes with its own 24/7 playlist at launch as well.
Trench is a new 2v2 map for close quarters modes. Expect to see this one quite frequently over the next few weeks if you’re a Gunfight fiend.
Lastly, a new Ground War map has been added into the mix. Barakett Promenade may ring a few bells, as this is a Warzone location found in Verdansk already. Plays can now jump into matches on this map with their squad, and battle against their opponents.
New weapons: Fennec & CR-56 Amax
After numerous leaks hinted that players would be seeing the return of weapons from Call of Duty: Ghosts, Infinity Ward confirmed those suspicions by introducing the Fennec SMG which is an updated version of the Vector, and the CR-56 Amax which is a reworked Galil.
As always, both the Fennec and CR-56 Amax are available as part of the free portion of the Season 4 Battle Pass, with early reports claiming that the SMG is already extremely powerful and could become the go-to weapon for aggressive players. You can watch the Fennec in action below.
Warzone S4: The NEW Vector is insane! pic.twitter.com/EqlKZZ9FLd
— Jordan Payton (@LEGIQN) June 11, 2020
Battle Pass and Captain Price Operator
Speaking of the Battle Pass, Infinity Ward have added the Season 4 iteration of the content pass, featuring 100+ tiers of rewards that players can unlock by grinding the game. As usual, the pass has both a free and Premium section, the latter costing 1,000 CoD Points (~$10 USD).
One of those rewards will be Captain Price, the legendary character from the Modern Warfare series, including the 2019 campaign, along with special horns for your vehicles in Warzone, and a ton of Weapon Blueprints and cosmetic items too.
Warzone In-Match Events
The latest addition to Warzone coming in Season 4 is "In-Match Events," which will change the way the battle royale is played at random times "without advance notice" throughout any given match. There are three In-Game Events being added: Jailbreak, Fire Sale, and Supply Choppers.
When 'Jailbreak' occurs, all eliminated players who are either waiting for their chance to be respawned from the Gulag, or are spectating their teammates, will be given a one-minute notice before being returned to the battlefield. This event can occur at any time mid-game, so it's "well worth spectating, just in case," according to Infinity Ward.
The second in-game event, 'Fire Sale,' works in a similar fashion to the popular Call of Duty Zombies power-up. When activated, this event gives all Buy Stations a temporary discount, with items selling for anywhere up to 80% off. Some items may even be free. Loadout Drops are not discounted during Fire Sales. This in-game event lasts for 60 seconds.
The final new event is 'Supply Choppers,' which brings "non-lethal but heavily armored helicopters to Verdansk." These helicopters will not shoot at you, but you can destroy them to grab a stack of "high-quality loot." This includes three UAVs, two armor boxes and munitions boxes, a gas mask, a grenade launcher, and tons of cash at a minimum.
Here's the full patch notes for the Modern Warfare & Warzone Season 4 release:
Call of Duty Modern Warfare & Warzone Season 4 Patch Notes
- Barakett Promenade has been added to Ground War!
- Trench Mosh Pit (2v2)!
- Scrapyard 24/7!
- Blueprint Gunfight!
- Blood Money
- Warzone Rumble!
Warzone Rumble is a brand-new mode in Warzone. Two teams of 50 players parachute and battle it out in various areas around Verdansk. This mode is high action with custom loadouts, vehicles, and quick respawns.
Modified Special Operations
- Just Reward - Veteran
- Just Reward - Regular
- Fix for some players not receiving their Season 3 emblem
- Fixes to help reduce players encountering Error Code 13-71. If you still experience this after today’s update, please reach out to Activision Customer Support
- Fix for a bug where the Ghost Perk was not hiding players from the Heartbeat Sensor when viewing the Killcam
- Fixed an issue where some players were unable to activate a Nuke after getting the appropriate number of kills
- Fix for a bug where the 4th Operator Mission for Talon, “Complete 2 Warzone Plunder Matches” was not tracking as intended
- Fix for an issue where some players could find long wait times when attempting to load into Ground War matches
- Fix for a bug where neutral Hardpoints were appearing yellow instead of grey
- Various exploit fixes across multiple maps
- Fix for the Officer Challenge, “Get 20 kill while crouched” not tracking properly for some players
- Fixed a bug where the white health regen was triggering on downing other players even if Quick Fix wasn’t equipped
- Fix for an exploit where players could sometimes call in duplicate UAVs
- Added new weapon perks to the Specialist Bonus (the bonus earned after getting 8 kills while specialist is active): Frangible-Disabling, Frangible-Wounding, Mo'Money, Recon, Heavy Hitter, FMJ, Presence of Mind
- Fixed a bug where players were unable to perform executions when on some elevated surfaces
- Fixes to help prevent an issue where players were able to move before the match countdown timer completed
- Fixes to help prevent against black graphical corruption issues some players were seeing
- Fix for the “For the Cause” grip tape not appearing properly on the base M4
- Improved stability fixes for PC
- Fixes to help prevent issues with voice chat
- Lowered ammo count for reload warning on belt fed LMG
- Fixed bug with HDR and Sleight of Hand where reloading would not give ammo to the player
- Loot Update: New weapons and updated Blueprints! Be on the lookout for the Fennec, CR-56 Amax, Renetti, and more!
- Fixed a bug where the Recon Contract could spawn inside an Ammo Supply cache, making it unusable
- After completing the Contraband Mission and calling in the extract helicopter, players could shoot the helicopter without receiving hitmarkers and the helicopter would remain on screen indefinitely
- Fixed a bug where players were able to drop their weapon in the Gulag
- Fix for an exploit where players were able to duplicate Self Revive kits
- Fix for a bug where a player was stuck in 3rd person gameplay
- Daily Challenges are now displayed alongside Multiplayer and Warzone challenges
- Fixed an issue where unlocking an Operator skin in Co-Op would not unlock the base skin for that Operator as well
- Fixed a bug where the game would not end correctly if the last player alive used Team Revive immediately before dying
Special Operations: Survival
- Fix for being able to duplicate the Juggernaut Suit Munition minigun
- Fix for rare instances of waves not ending properly
- Fixed an exploit on St. Petrograd where players could fully hide from soldiers behind a bar