Michael Condrey claims Activision are making Modern Warfare controversial for "headlines" - Dexerto
Call of Duty

Michael Condrey claims Activision are making Modern Warfare controversial for “headlines”

Published: 25/Jun/2019 12:07 Updated: 25/Jun/2019 12:35

by Paul Cot

Share


Michael Condrey, co-founder of Sledgehammer Games, made some rather interesting comments in regards to Call of Duty‘s next title – Modern Warfare – in their attempt to grab “headlines”.

In an interview with VentureBeat, the former Sledgehammer Games lead figure when asked about Modern Warfare’s disturbing nature said: “MW seems like a tough challenge for any studio, especially if they are being pushed by publishing to be more controversial and ‘darker’ for the sake of headlines.”

While Condrey isn’t outright accusing Activision of making Modern Warfare as controversial as possible for headlines, he is certainly suggesting it. It isn’t clear whether Condrey knows this to be true, i.e. he knows it for a fact, or whether somebody from within the Call of Duty team, be it the publishers or developers, have told him as such.

Modern Warfare is apparently even more disturbing than MW2’s “No Russian” mission…

Nevertheless, the tactic has clearly worked as there has been headline after headline discussing the disturbing nature of the campaign. The result, as Activision would have hoped, has been increased hype for the game, even by Call of Duty’s lofty standards.

There has arguably not been a CoD campaign as anticipated in the franchise’s history – and this can almost certainly be attributed to the headlines it has generated so far.

Activision wanting to make the game as controversial as possible to drive sales won’t come as a surprise to many – in fact it’s to be expected as that is their job as a publisher. However, it is in conflict to the creative freedom that a developer should have.

Infinity Ward has said in the past, on numerous occasions, that the story is their own creation. Whether this is true or whether Activision have indeed had some sway will perhaps never been known for sure.

YouTubers who have played a small part of the campaign have claimed it makes Modern Warfare 2’s “No Russian” mission look like a “Pixar film”.

Call of Duty fans will be able to see just how disturbing the game is on October 25 when the fourth instalment of Modern Warfare is released on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

Call of Duty

Sources: 100 Thieves acquire OpTic’s CDL spot, represented as LA Thieves

Published: 26/Oct/2020 17:23 Updated: 26/Oct/2020 18:45

by Albert Petrosyan

Share


Sources have told Dexerto that 100 Thieves are entering the Call of Duty League by purchasing the spot previously held by OpTic Gaming Los Angeles.

After initially declining to invest in a slot for the Call of Duty League’s inaugural 2020 season, 100 Thieves are re-entering CoD esports after all for the 2021 campaign and beyond.

The spot that had been OpTic Gaming Los Angeles’ has now transferred ownership to the prominent esports organization, and sources have reported that 100T will rebrand the team to LA Thieves.

Immortals Gaming Club, which had purchased OpTic Gaming and one of two Los Angeles CDL franchise spots, recently sold the Green Wall back to Hector ‘H3CZ’ Rodriguez, who will remain in control of the brand.

OpTic Gaming LA
CDL
The OpTic Gaming Los Angeles franchise will end after just one season of competing in the CDL.

At this time, it’s not yet clear whether the league will allow H3CZ to rebrand his Chicago Huntsmen franchise to OpTic. Since he’s already the CEO of Huntsmen, his reacquisition of the OpTic brand meant that control of one of the two teams would eventually have to change hands once again.

According to recent reports from Esports Talk, the CDL was taking the stance that franchises should remain tied to the cities they were initially founded in. Thus, if H3CZ and NRG wanted their team to take on the OpTic Gaming insignia, they would have to sell the Huntsmen spot and move their Call of Duty operations to Los Angeles.

However, in those same reports, it was indicated that despite their initial unwillingness to enter the CDL, 100 Thieves and CEO Matt ‘Nadeshot’ Haag acquiring a spot was not totally out of the question, and now it’s come to fruition.

100 Thieves Call of Duty
MLG
While brief, 100 Thieves’ first stint in competitive Call of Duty was a highly successful one.

While brief, 100 Thieves’ first stint in Call of Duty esports was a very successful one; the team captured two major trophies in the then-called CoD World League and finished second in the CWL World Championship.

100T’s team became a fan-favorite, and when Nadeshot announced that they’d be leaving the esport due to the transition to franchising, many were left disappointed, especially considering Haag’s extensive CoD background.

The only question that remains now is concerning their roster – whether or not Nadeshot or his org will want to make any personnel changes remains to be seen, but if not, many will still expect the team to be a contender, considering that three of the four players are top-tier with championship experience.

LA THIEVES’ EXPECTED 2021 CDL ROSTER:

  • Austin ‘SlasheR’ Liddicoat
  • Kenny ‘Kuavo’ Williams
  • Thomas ‘TJHaLy’ Haly
  • Zack ‘Drazah’ Jordan
100 Thieves Call of Duty
MLG
CoD stars SlasheR and Kenny are returning to 100 Thieves as members of LA Thieves.

For SlasheR and Kenny, this will be their second stint with 100T after previously featuring for the org in its lone season of competition. Similarly, General Manager Eric ‘Muddawg’ Sanders is also returning to the red and black after leaving them for OpTic when the org parted ways from CoD esports.

As always, we will continue to update this story and bring you the latest as more information becomes available.