An anonymous source who claims to be a former Quality Assurance tester at Treyarch, has posted a lengthy Reddit thread with information which they claim to be genuine, about Infinity Ward's upcoming Call of Duty title.
It should be noted from the outset that this source is highly dubious, with little to verify their claims, and even if it is genuine insider information, all of it will be subject to change ahead of the game's release.
We already know that Call of Duty 2019 will be 'rooted in franchise history', which most fans have taken to mean it will be Modern Warfare 4, and at this point it seems all but certain that will be the case.
Activision have also confirmed that the upcoming game will include a single player campaign, a large multiplayer mode and a co-op experience.
This leaker, who says they left the QA team at Treyarch due to poor treatment, claims to have spoken with other QA testers at Activision/Infinity Ward, which is their channel to the information given.
They confirm that "Modern Warfare 4 is the name", and that it will come with the campaigns of Modern Warfare 2 and 3, remastered. The multiplayer portions of these games may come later, but the leaker claims that Activision wants to avoid splitting the player base immediately.
The full Reddit post can be found below. Again, it must be noted that these claims cannot be verified, and there is no evidence to suggest the leaker is who they claim to be. They have since deleted their Reddit account, apparently at the behest of Activision, but the post itself remains available.
Some of the highlight points from the post include:
- MW2 and MW3 campaigns remastered (multiplayer possibly released post-launch).
- No specialists.
- Raven Studios working on a mode similar to 'War' from CoD: WWII and helping with new co-op survival mode.
- No battle royale mode.
- MW4 campaign set before MW2.
- Infected, Search and Rescue, Gun Game available at launch.
- Tactical Nuke returning (will not end objective game modes).
- Pro Perks returning.
I had a while post over on the black ops 4 sub but was deleted, but basically I worked at QA and quit 2 weeks ago due to how Treyarch treated us.
From what I’ve heard from other QA testers, please take this with a grain of salt.
- Modern warfare 4 is the name.
- will come with MW2 & MW3 remastered, campaign only but there was talk of Multiplayer being released on both throughout the year. They don’t want to drop 3 different games with 3 different multiplayers all at once.
- supply drops are still there unfortunately but it’s the same system as Infinite Warfares
- DLC model is different from Black ops 4 it’ll be 15 maps for the pass with free maps rolling out through the lifecycle, free monthly cod points, dlc weapons go to season pass holders for free, access to beta for content (new maps, war maps) extra login bonus and 4 special character costumes. Was also being talked about releasing all maps free and having no DLC pass but a cheaper pass which includes everything listed above except maps which would be free.
- A mode like WW2s War mode which will be developed by Raven. Will launch with 3 base maps for it and they are different in a way as to how War worked in WW2.
- Customization wise, obviously camos but the interesting part is the character customization. You can change your head accessories(ex. Beanie, hats, helmets etc..) Torso(shirts, vest etc..) legs, feet and gloves.
- Absolutely 100% guarantee NO specialists in terms of bo3, IW and bo4s. Think MW3 specialist.
- Killstreaks are similar to MW2/MW3
- plenty of original guns from the MW series
- No Battle Royale, it was obviously being talked about seeing the success of blackout Activision wanted to keep building on it but the playerbase has dropped drastically since January even more so after the Release of Apex Legends
- Campaign is set before MW2s events that’s all I know about campaign. Will have coop play and a camo/reward system for playing to encourage people to play
- Will have keys like IW to unlock supply drops but will also reward 1-3 random players after every match like WW2.
- The new co-op mode is a survival based mode BUT it’s more like an open world, think battle royale type maps(huge maps). You will have level progression for certain unlocks(guns, attachments etc..) the objective is to kill, collect certain things, will have a skill tree system. This is being worked on by Raven also along with infinity Ward. Will come with 1 map at launch as far as I know with plans of releasing one every other month. The last time I heard anything about this mode was early last year so a lot could have changed. No name for it as of then.
- Let’s talk about multiplayer modes, the usuals are returning. Infected on launch with search and rescue also. Gun game, wager matches for keys, demolition and more.
- Continuous stream of content over the year different from Black ops 4 instead of tiers you just have to complete challenges for the rewards (ex. Kill 100 players with X gun to unlock Y gun.
- Tactical Nuke is returning, will not end objective based modes.
- Campaign is set to be 7-8 hours long on normal difficulty.
- Pro perks will return.
From the sounds of it Infinity Ward wants to be as interactive with the community as much as possible this year to make a wonderful cod game that can be played and updated through the years. They will be hosting dev vs community contest with rewards. Weekly streams to talk about new content coming as well as weekly updates for the game as needed.
The last I heard the teasers will be rolling out during Mid-End march and full reveal in April. Sorry for the long post, when Activision said this is the best Call of Duty built they meant it and plan on it being the most content packed. These new Battle Royale games dropping are taking a huge chunk out of revenue and Activision wants Call of Duty back on top so expect a more consumer friendly way of things from now on.
While none of this information is verifiable, neither does it stray too far from the realms of possibility, especially given the small teasers which Activision gave in its latest earnings call.
A teaser for the new game can be expected for around April 2019, or perhaps as early as March, if previous years are anything to go by.
Black Ops 4 released a month earlier than normal, on October 12, 2018, but this was likely in part to the release of Red Dead Redemption on October 26. With no heavyweight competition like this in 2019, Call of Duty may return to its more traditional November release.