All 2020 Call of Duty League events canceled due to coronavirus outbreak - Dexerto
Call of Duty

All 2020 Call of Duty League events canceled due to coronavirus outbreak

Published: 12/Mar/2020 20:38 Updated: 16/Mar/2020 15:31

by Scott Robertson

Share


Activision Blizzard announced on March 12 that all Call of Duty League Home Series for 2020 are officially canceled going forward, citing concerns over the global coronavirus outbreak.

The official announcement comes after it was announced that Activision Blizzard’s other main esports venture, the Overwatch League, was canceling all of its events for March and April.

In a followup to the original statement regarding OWL, the league’s commissioner made the point of clarifying that matches will still be played and broadcast during those months, but not in front of crowds at homestands. In their announcement, the Call of Duty league made a similar clarification.

Activision Blizzard
Official statement from CDL.

In the league’s statement, they said that all matches for the remainder of the season will take place online, and that those will still be broadcast to fans.

CDL says “dates will be announced shortly” regarding the online broadcasts, indicating that the matches that would have taken place during the upcoming Dallas home series may be postponed.

The Dallas Empire are already trying to make the best of the bad situation, as owner Mike ‘hastr0’ Rufail called for the community to come together during this tough time, and the team’s Twitter posted a hilarious joke about their online Modern Warfare success.

Several fans recognized the potential for Home Series to be canceled prior to the announcement from Activision Blizzard, as cities like San Francisco, Paris, and Chicago started banning or canceling large public gatherings.

This is just the latest entry in a growing of list of gaming and esports events that have had to change plans due to coronavirus scares.

Overwatch League homestands in both Korea and China had already been canceled before the latest decision from Activision Blizzard. E3 2020, TwitchCon Amsterdam, the Rocket League World Championships, and several FIFA events will also not be taking place.

Leagues and organizers who chose not to cancel have made several alterations to their events to promote safety and wellbeing. ESL Pro League, FLASHPOINT, LCS, and LEC, just to name a few, have either moved locations or restricted fan access in some regards.

Some of these events will take place without any crowd presence, such as the IEM Katowice CS:GO World Championship major.

Call of Duty

Nadeshot clarifies SBMM argument in Black Ops Cold War rant

Published: 3/Dec/2020 2:10 Updated: 3/Dec/2020 2:15

by Jacob Hale

Share


Update (December 2 – 6:00 PM PT): Nadeshot has since followed up on his Skill-Based Matchmaking rant, addressing how it’s easy to lose your temper while grinding for specific weapon camo challenges.

“SBMM is a topic of discussion that has a lot of nuances,” he said in a December 2 follow-up tweet. “What I really want to clarify once and for all… I don’t have a fear of playing players as good as me. I don’t disagree with the idea of playing against players as good as me. All I’m asking for is that people see the level of skill I’m playing at.”

Obviously, a ranked playlist of sorts has been requested to no end in the community. While the feature has been subtly confirmed, it’s still yet to enter the game. Therefore, the only form of matchmaking is standard public games, which happen to have SBMM cranked all the way up.

“If I’m going up against six starting players in the Call of Duty League, I want a rank to reflect that. I understand why SBMM is a necessity, I just don’t agree with the way it’s presented. Right now it’s ambiguous, you never really know who you’re up against and the level of skill they’re at.”

The original story is as follows.

Skill-based matchmaking has been a major complaint from top Call of Duty players for years now, and 100 Thieves CEO and former pro player Matthew ‘Nadeshot’ Haag has finally snapped, going on a rant against SBMM in the new Black Ops Cold War.

Nadeshot has never made it a secret that he, alongside a huge number of Call of Duty players, is anti-SBMM.

Though the sentiment makes sense — pit players of equal skill against one another — in practice, many players aren’t happy with it and want to see it removed or at least tuned down.

Nadeshot clearly falls into that category, and let his opinion be known during a December 1 stream while playing on the latest edition of Nuketown, Nuketown ‘84.

black ops cold war cartel
Activision
Black Ops Cold War has been welcomed with mixed reviews, but SBMM has been a major sticking point.

As you can tell immediately from the scoreline alone and the carnage unfolding around him, the match is an intense one, and he wasn’t impressed.

He said: “It’s time to lower the skill-based matchmaking. This is not fun. I know we want the kids that have never played Call of Duty to be in a safe space, but please stop alienating the people that have been playing your game for over a decade.”

That wasn’t all, though, as Haag continued to complain as he struggled to make much of an impact on the game. “This is not an enjoyable experience,” he said. “Especially trying to get the challenges done on these weapons… Everyone’s got a scorestreak because it’s participation and not skill.”

Both the SBMM and scorestreak complaints have been popular ones for Black Ops Cold War players, and the sentiment seems to be echoed from the top down.

Whether Activision or Treyarch make changes to either issue remains to be seen, but we might not see Nadeshot streaming Black Ops Cold War for too much longer at this rate.