Apex Legends has a third-person mod, believe it or not, as an easter egg in the firing range. Although it was once removed, it’s now back. Here’s how to activate it and play in 3rd person view in Apex.
Apex Legends’ enduring popularity is a testament to Respawn’s excellent game design, with attention to detail clear in almost all aspects of the battle royale.
That remains true when it comes to the game’s firing range as well, with easter eggs available for players to unlock.
One of the most popular easter eggs players have discovered is the third-person mode. It was briefly removed from the game when Respawn caused death when switching Legends, but it finally returned in Apex Legends Season 11 as part of update 1.84.
How to activate third-person mode in Apex Legends
Activating third-person mode in Apex Legends is pretty easy, just follow these exact steps:
- Once in the firing range, you’ll need to travel to one of the far corners. This is easiest as Pathfinder (but certainly doable as other legends like Ash or Horizon, with movement abilities).
- Grapple onto the champion banner on the right side of the map, before swinging round to a ledge that stands behind it.
- Once here, you’ll see a small bush that you’ll need to stand in. You’ll need to go right into the corner of the map (which is pretty much inside the bush), and then crouch.
- Once crouched, simply change character and an audio cue will play to let you know that you’ve successfully changed into third-person mode. This will be reflected in your visuals.
It’s important to note, too, that you need a completely clear inventory in order to pull this off. Below, courtesy of YouTuber ‘RazorOnYT‘, is the same tutorial, simply in video form.
Some fans were initially confused as to whether it was a visual bug, but former Apex dev Jason McCord, replied with the side-eyes emoji when it first gained traction on Reddit.
This was taken as confirmation of its intentional addition to Apex Legends, and perhaps a signal that there are many more easter eggs for players to discover.
However, as cool as a third-person mode would be in normal Apex Legends (even making an appearance as an LTM in Season 3), it’s currently only achievable in the game’s firing range.
- Read More: Best Legends to use in Apex Legends
In terms of other easter eggs, there are almost certainly going to be some that have not yet been discovered. Whether in firing range or on the new maps, it’s worth jumping in and trying to find them.