One thing that separates Apex Legends from other battle royale titles the unique way that the in-game characters are used.
In traditional battle royale games, the characters that players pick to play are often just cosmetic aspects of the game and make no real difference.
However, in Apex Legends, the characters have unique attributes that compliment each others' skill-sets and makes teamwork that much more important.
There are a total of eight characters, or 'Legends' as they're called, six of which are available to players right away while two have to be unlocked by playing the game or purchasing.
- Mirage (unlockable)
- Caustic (unlockable)
These Legends vary in their main gameplay style and purpose as some have great offensive potential, others are a defensive presence for the team, and a few are the main source of support for teammates.
- Tactical Ability - Eye of the Allfather: Briefly reveal hidden enemies, traps, and clues throughout structures in front of you.
- Passive Ability - Tracker: See tracks left behind by your foes.
- Ultimate Ability - Beast of the Hunt: Enhances your senses, allowing you move faster and highlighting your prey.
- Tactical Ability - Dome of Protection: Throw down a dome-shield that blocks attacks for 15 seconds.
- Passive Ability - Gun Shield: Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire.
- Ultimate Ability - Defensive Bombardment: Call in a concentrated mortar strike on a marked position.
- Tactical Ability - D.O.C. Heal Drone: Call your Drone of Compassion to automatically heal nearby teammates over time.
- Passive Ability - Combat Medic: Revive knocked down teammates faster while protected by a shield wall. Healing items are used 25% faster.
- Ultimate Ability - Care Package: Call in a drop pod full of high-quality defensive gear.
- Tactical Ability - Into the Void: Reposition quickly through the safety of void space, avoiding all damage.
- Passive Ability - Voices from the Void: A voice warns you when danger approaches. As far as you can tell, it’s on your side.
- Ultimate Ability - Dimensional Rift: Link two locations with portals for 60 seconds, allowing your entire team to use them.
- Tactical Ability - Grappling Hook: Grapple to get to out-of-reach places quickly.
- Passive Ability - Insider Knowledge: Scan a survey beacon to reveal the ring’s next location.
- Ultimate Ability - Zipline Gun: Create a zipline for everyone to use.
- Tactical Ability - Smoke Launcher: Fire a high-velocity smoke canister that explodes into a smoke wall on impact.
- Passive Ability - Double Time: Taking fire while sprinting makes you move faster for a brief time.
- Ultimate Ability - Rolling Thunder: Call in an artillery strike that slowly creeps across the landscape.
- Tactical Ability - Psyche Out: Send out a holographic decoy to confuse the enemy.
- Passive Ability - Encore!: Automatically drop a decoy and cloak for five seconds when knocked down.
- Ultimate Ability - Vanishing Act: Deploy a team of Decoys to distract enemies while you cloak.
- Tactical Ability - Nox Gas Trap: Drop canisters that release deadly Nox gas when shot or triggered by enemies.
- Passive Ability - Nox Vision: Allows you to see enemies through your gas.
- Ultimate Ability - Nox Gas Grenade: Blankets a large area in Nox gas.
You can check out our Apex Legends Guide Hub for our other guides and info articles, including ones for weapons, Legends characters, map and locations, micro-transactions, and much more.
If there are any other guides you want to see us make, you can let us know by tweeting us @Dexerto with your idea!